From:
Joel Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:50:55 +0000
We are delighted to announce discounted student registration of only £25 (GBP) for our two day Halfway to the Future symposium, 19-20 November, 2019, Nottingham, UK. These discounted rates are possible thanks to sponsorship by ACM SIGCHI, who are subsidising 80 student registrations for ACM SIGCHI student members.

For further info, please see  https://www.halfwaytothefuture.org/sigchi-student-subsidy

Further highlights:
·      Confirmed keynote speakers: Steve Benford, Susanne Bødker, Bill Gaver, Christian Heath, Yvonne Rogers, Lucy Suchman, and Alex Taylor.
·      Accepted papers will be published in the ACM DL.

https://www.halfwaytothefuture.org/
Twitter: @httfsymposium

===Important Dates===

Submission deadline: Friday 21 June

===CfP===

The Halfway to the Future symposium explores the past, present, and future of themes driving key research in HCI and design. Each theme will be addressed by a dedicated panel anchored by a confirmed keynote speaker discussing one of their influential papers in light of subsequent developments:

·      Ubiquitous Computing – YVONNE ROGERS (UCL) – "Moving on from Weiser's vision of calm computing"
·      Mixed Reality – STEVE BENFORD (University of Nottingham) – "Orchestrating a mixed reality performance"
·      Arts & Design-Led Approaches – BILL GAVER (Goldsmiths, University of London) – "Ambiguity as a resource for design"
·      Public & Private Spaces – CHRISTIAN HEATH (Kings College London) – "Collaboration and control: Crisis management and multimedia technology in London Underground Line Control Rooms"
·      Artificial Intelligence, Humans & Machines – LUCY SUCHMAN (Lancaster University) and ALEX TAYLOR (City, University of London) – "Human-Machine Reconfigurations: Plans and Situated Actions"
·      New Approaches to Research & Design – SUSANNE BØDKER (Aarhus University) – "When second wave HCI meets third wave challenges"

 We invite papers of up to 6,000 words (not including references) addressing current work relating to the themes above. We also invite short papers of up to 2,000 words (not including references) looking towards the future of these themes. Papers can take the form of projected projects, design fictions, manifestos, or anything that fires your imagination. Accepted papers not chosen for panels will be invited to be presented in poster format.

We hope you will consider joining us in creating this unique space for reflecting on the past whilst looking toward the future.

Thank you and best wishes,
Joel Fischer and Jocelyn Spence, Programme Chairs

Halfway to the Future is co-organised by the Mixed Reality Lab, University of Nottingham, as part of celebrations of its 20-year anniversary.

===More Information===

Expressions of interest at https://halfwaytothefuture.org/eoi (please complete this if you’re interested in attending to help us gauge numbers!)
Submissions: https://halfwaytothefuture.org/submission
halfwaytothefuture.org<http://halfwaytothefuture.org>
Twitter: @httfsymposium

---
Dr Joel E Fischer
www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jef<http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jef>

Associate Professor
Mixed Reality Laboratory
School of Computer Science
University of Nottingham
Jubilee Campus

Recent publications:
- Voice Interfaces in Everyday Life
https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174214
- Data Work: How Energy Advisors and Clients Make IoT Data Accountable
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10606-017-9293-x

**Halfway to the Future 2019**
Call for Papers: https://halfwaytothefuture.org/cfp

attachment.