Sender:
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:54:05 +0100
From:
PhD Studentships in Computer Science (4 years) at the Dutch Open University, faculty of Computer Science.

The Dutch Open University has a focuses on life long learning. Characteristics of our education are openness, flexibility and quality. Research in the faculty of Computer Science is strongly related
to our teaching, and may be considered state of the art scientific level. Research of our group MCM (“mens-computer-maatschappij” – Human-Computer-Society), is related to the interfaculty research
institute NELL (NEtherlands Laboratory for Lifelong Learning).
The Dutch Open University has currently 32,000 students, supervised by 700 staff members. The main office is in Heerlen, there are 12 study centers in the Netherlands and 6 in Belgium (Flanders).

We are looking for applications for a new PhD project: “Individual ICT Learning at the Work Place: A holistic design method for professional learning”
This project proposal focuses on academic level life long learning in the domain of ICT. Design approaches for learning are often either technology driven (i.e., not serving user needs or learner
context in the first place), or teacher centered (taken individual learner goals and learner situation for granted).
Our approach is an attempt to relate two current research topics in the group: (1) Designing education for people’s understanding and experience; and (2) Re-usable design patterns for ICT learning.
User centered design methods start from the needs and situation of multiple users and other stakeholders. New insights in the concept of experience in interaction with artifacts will increase the
value of these methods, especially when applied to the domain of self-initiated learning and the support for life long learning.
The PhD project will result in a generic method for the design of distance learning material and techniques for adult professional learners in the context of their work place. The learning domain to
specify, illustrate, and assess the approach will be the domain of Academic level Computer Science.

For additional information, contact the supervisor of the project is Prof.dr. Gerrit C. van der Veer, [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]

Applications should be send to Open Universiteit Nederland, afdeling Personele ondersteuning; PO box 2960; 6401 DL Heerlen,
or, by email, to [log in to unmask]
The closing date for applications is March 20, 2008.

    SSSSSS@@@@@
  {{S~~~~~~~~~@}}
{{             }}         Elly Lammers
{{             }}         Vrije Universiteit
{{__(o)___(o)__}}         Faculty of Sciences
{{  \_/   \_/  }}         Department of Computer Science
{{     / \     }}         De Boelelaan 1081 A
{{             }}         1081 HV Amsterdam
{{     ---     }}         The Netherlands
{{(           )}}         Tel +31 (0)20 59 87718
{{{{ \_____/ }}}}         Fax +31 (0)20-59 87728
{{{{         }}}}         Email [log in to unmask]
			  CHI 2008 conference http://chi2008.org