Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:12:19 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

CfP: PD-Apps 2014: Workshop on Developing Applications for Pervasive Display Networks

*** in conjunction with PerCom 2014 ***
*** March 24 or 28 2014 (TBA), Budapest, Hungary ***
*** November 4 2013 - papers due ***
*** December 21 2013 - feedback to the authors ***
*** January 24 2014 - camera ready ***
*** more info at http://uc.inf.usi.ch/events/pd-apps-2014 ***

======== SUMMARY AND THEME ========

Public displays are becoming a ubiquitous resource in the urban environment: we can find them at airports showing flight schedules, in bars and cafes displaying events and menus, or on the streets showing advertising. Although most of these displays are singular installations it is not hard to imagine that these displays will become networked in the near future thus constituting a novel and powerful communication medium – pervasive display networks. Unlike today where we can see simple images and slide shows, pervasive display networks will be open and capable of running multiple diverse applications.

Creating applications for pervasive display networks brings a new set of challenges and opportunities with it:
- What kind of platforms and environments do we need?
- What type of content is suitable for display?
- How do we personalize the content to the audience?
- In contrast to today’s mobile phones and laptops that are built for a single user, content on public displays may be seen by groups of users. How can we indicate that displays and applications offer interactivity?
- How to indicate what type of interaction is offered, e.g., gesture, touch, or mobile phone?
- What are novel applications for public displays that go beyond advertising?

The PD-App workshop will serve as a starting point for researchers to discuss these challenges and share ideas on how to tackle them.

======== TOPICS OF INTEREST ========

In order to stimulate discussion and exchange of ideas on challenges and opportunities associated with creating applications for pervasive displays we propose to invite submissions tackling the following themes:

- Enabling technologies, software architectures, and protocols for pervasive display applications
- Scheduling/arranging applications and content for on display viewing
- Mechanisms and techniques for content moderation
- Personalization of networked public display applications
- Interaction concepts and metaphors for pervasive displays
- Novel applications for mobile devices and networked public displays

======== GOALS AND EXPECTED AUDIENCE ========

The intended outcomes of this workshop are the following:

- Bringing together researchers and practitioners to discuss how to develop applications for pervasive display networks
- Creating a common understanding and perspective on the opportunities and challenges related to development of applications for pervasive display networks
- Develop a research agenda, i.e., which system and HCI related issues (e.g. platforms, architectures, models, factors, measurements) for pervasive display applications research for the next the next five years

The workshop is intended for:

- Researchers from the Ubicomp domain with interest in developing and deploying public display systems and applications
- HCI researchers interested in the design of novel interaction concepts and metaphors for public displays
- Software engineers interested in enabling technologies, software architectures, and protocols for public displays
- UX experts interested in designing new UX models for public displays
- Public display designers interested in the design of novel applications for public displays and mobile devices

======== SUBMISSION FORMAT ========

Workshop candidates are requested to submit a position paper, no longer than 6 pages in the PerCom papers format, about their research and link to the workshop theme through the EDAS system.

Paper template: http://www.computer.org/portal/web/cscps/formatting
EDAS submission system: https://edas.info/N15683?c=15683

Participants will be selected on the basis of the relevance of their work and interests and familiarity with the PD-App workshop topics by the Technical Program Committee.  All accepted papers will receive a DOI and will be stored in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library. We plan to accept up to fifteen position papers.

======== TIMELINE AND DEADLINES ========

Workshop submission deadline: 	November 4 2013
Feedback to the authors: 			December 21 2013
Camera-ready version: 			January 24 2014
Workshop at PerCom 2014: 		March 24 or 28 2014 (TBA)

======== ORGANIZERS ========

Nigel Davis, Lancaster University, UK
Rui Jose, University of Minho, PT
Nemanja Memarovic, University of Lugano, CH
Ivan Elhart, University of Lugano, CH
Sarah Clinch, Lancaster University, UK

======== PROGRAM COMMITTEE =======

Florian Alt, University of Stuttgart, DE
Marcus Foth, Queensland University of Technology, AU
Sven Gehring, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), DE
Simo Hosio, University of Oulu, FI
Michael Koch, Bundeswehr University Munich, DE
Vassilis Kostakos, University of Oulu, FI
Marc Langheinrich, University of Lugano, CH
Rodger Lea, University of British Columbia, CA
Aaron Quigley, University of St. Andrews, UK
Holger Schnadelbach, Nottingham University, UK

**** http://uc.inf.usi.ch/events/pd-apps-2014 ****