From:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susanne Boll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:14:51 +0100
(Un)Acceptable!?! -- Re-thinking the Social Acceptability of Emerging Technologies

What does social acceptance mean with respect to modern HCI?
How to design for social acceptability and how to evaluate it?
Where has research in the CHI community succeeded or failed in designing for social acceptability?

We are inviting you to participate in our workshop on social acceptability at CHI 2018 in Montreal. The concepts of technology acceptance and social acceptability are central in the long development of human-centric understanding of interactive technology. However, considering the variety of modern ICT, the early definitions and theories related to the social and societal aspects of technology acceptance seem outdated and narrow. We invite academics and practitioners to discuss how social acceptance and acceptability are understood nowadays. In this workshop at CHI 2018, we will discuss how to re-conceptualize the relevant concepts and outline new research agendas for this unsung topic.

*** Important dates ***
Submission deadline: Jan 27th, 2018
Notifications: Feb 22nd, 2018
Workshop date: 21st or 22nd of April, 2018 (in Montréal, Canada)

We invite submissions of
(1) position papers: 2 pages in SIGCHI Extended Abstracts format to be presented as posters, or
(2) full papers: 4 pages in SIGCHI Extended Abstracts format to be presented as oral presentation.
Submission via Easy Chair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sociallyacceptablech).

Possible contributions include, but are not limited to:
	• Experiences, case studies, and lessons learned from designing socially (not) acceptable interactive systems.
	• Methodological contributions: conceptualizations, evaluation measures, design considerations, etc.
	• Design/system contributions: interactive systems that provide socially acceptable qualities, provocative designs or breaching experiments.
	• User Studies about social aspects of technology acceptance.

The workshop participants will be selected based on the submissions’ relevance to the workshop topic and their potential to engender insightful discussion at the workshop.

Please note that at least one author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop. All workshop participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference. More info about CHI’18: https://chi2018.acm.org/

For more information and submitting your contributions, please visit: https://www.socialacceptabilityworkshop.uol.de/
Questions? Contact us at [log in to unmask]

We are looking forward to your contributions to this exciting workshop

Marion Koelle, University of Oldenburg, Germany
Thomas Olsson, University of Tampere, Finland
Julie Williamson, University of Glasgow, UK
Halley Profita, University of Colorado Boulder
Shaun Kane, University of Colorado Boulder
Robb Mitchell, University of Southern Denmark
Susanne Boll, University of Oldenburg, Germany