From:
Sergio Sayago <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2020 16:25:56 +0200
Dear Colleagues,

This special issue addresses technology design for older people (65+) in
two timely and important design scenarios: the COVID-19 pandemic and
Human–Artificial Intelligence (AI) interaction.

The COVID-19 pandemic has focused increased attention on social
isolation and loneliness for all ages, particularly older people as the
most vulnerable, at-risk segment of the population. Many of the
traditional strategies for engaging older adults have become obsolete in
the new normal. Over the course of the pandemic, we have seen evidence
of openly ageist discourses (e.g., #BoomerRemover), which complicates
the experiences of living through COVID-19 for older people. How can
digital technologies be designed to improve connectivity in a time of
recommended and required physical distancing for older people (and all
of us)? What lessons can we learn from the COVID-19 pandemic to design
better technologies for a growing ageing population?

We are moving toward an era of Human–AI interaction, as autonomous and
intelligent systems, from voice assistants and product recommenders to
smart-home devices, smart cars, and social robots, are becoming
increasingly common in our lives. This has led to claims for examining
AI as the new design material, exploring ways of prototyping Human–AI,
and putting forward new design guidelines, as the best user experience
no longer comes only from usability but from trustworthy, personalized,
and ethical machine intelligence. At the same time, population ageing is
poised to become one of the most significant social transformations of
the 21st century, with implications for nearly all sectors of society.
How do we design Human–AI interaction for, and with, older people?

This interdisciplinary Special Issue aims to bring together a selection
of high-quality papers (e.g., case studies, insightful reviews,
theoretical and critical perspectives, and viewpoint articles) that
contribute to technology design for older people by addressing topics
including, but not limited to:

  * Older people, COVID-19, social isolation, loneliness, and ICTs;
  * Designing digital technologies for a growing ageing population
    post-COVID 19;
  * COVID-19 and digital ageism;
  * Artificial Intelligence as a design material and older people;
  * Ways of prototyping Human–AI interaction and older people;
  * Guidelines for Human–AI interaction and older people;
  * Ethically designed Human–AI interactions and older people.

/Guest Editors/

//Dr. Sergio Sayago, University of Lleida - Igualada Campus, Barcelona,
Spain
Dr. Paula Forbes, Unviersity of Abertay, Dundee, Scotland, UK

Further
information:/https://www.mdpi.com/journal/mti/special_issues/Design_Older_Adults/

Best,/
/

--
Correu corporatiu
*Sergio Sayago*
*Polythecnic School*
*Computer Science and Industrial Engineering Department*
Igualada Campus. Av. Pla de la Massa, 8
08700, Igualada, Spain
Tel. 34 93 803 53 00
https://sergiosayagoblog.wordpress.com
http://www.campusigualada.udl.cat/ca/
Avís legal/Aviso legal/Avertiment legal/Legal notice
<http://www.imatge.udl.cat/avis_legal_lopd.html>
<https://www.facebook.com/universitatdelleida/>
<https://twitter.com/udl_info>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/universitatdelleida>