From:
Dzmitry Aliakseyeu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dzmitry Aliakseyeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:45:37 -0400
[Apologies for Cross-Postings]
Call for participation:

Workshop on User Interaction Techniques for Future Lighting Systems

September 5, 2011: Lisbon, Portugal
in conjunction with Interact  (http://www.interact2011.org/)

Deadline for submissions is June 17, 2011.

Call for Papers

Light is the source of life.  It enables us to see and experience the world around us.  Light can influence our emotions, feelings and natural rhythms.  Light enables us to work, play and relax.  Yet something so important to us has been provided for over a hundred years by fairly archaic means: single light bulbs hanging in our rooms or flickery fluorescent luminaires.  But, for one moment, let’s imagine a world where we have the option of having the perfect light for whatever we may be doing, just where we need it, when we need it.  A world where our luminaires are inspiring art pieces or designed into the very architecture of our environment; the ceiling, the walls, the floor, the furniture, the fabrics, other products, could all become sources of light in the future, providing us with all the functional, ambient and decorative illumination we will ever need.
Is this really plausible?  With advancements in Light Emitting Diode (LED) technology it is certainly possible that this could be reality in the next few years if designers and end users have the desire and need for it.  The LED is giving us the chance to liberate the world of light.
However, the LED is being developed and improved far faster than the technology needed to control the light and atmospheres it can create.  How will people cope with the move from controlling a single light bulb to potentially ubiquitous lighting with immense variety?  How would people understand or realize which light condition is best for them and how would they achieve their desired illumination?  During this workshop we will explore future user interaction (UI) possibilities for lighting, identify the key research challenges and propose initial design guidelines so that we can prepare for this bright future.
The main goals of the workshop are:
•       Make a first step toward expanding the design space of interactive technologies to include new forms of decorative, ambient, and task lighting.
•       Identify key challenges of UI for controlling new forms of lighting systems.
•       Establish a link with existing interaction paradigms that can be (re-)used for control of future lighting systems.
********
Topics of Interest

Topics include:
•       Interaction design for lighting control
•        Adaptation of existing UI to lighting control
•       User studies of interactions that are or can be applied to lighting control
•       Smart lighting systems
•       Perception of light

We invite researchers and practitioners interested in exploring user interaction for new forms of lighting systems.

********
Workshop structure (Update)

The workshop will be open with a keynote presentation “Liberation of Light”, the speaker will be announced later.

The first part of the workshop (the morning) will be dedicated to the introduction of the emerging forms of lighting and presentations of the individual attendees. The afternoon will be dedicated to discussions in groups, where the topics for discussions will be formulated based on the initial set of the workshop questions. The poster(s) describing identified challenges and opportunities for interaction technologies around light control will be created during the last session.

********
Workshop Organizers
Emile Aarts, Philips Research (The Netherlands)
Dzmitry Aliakseyeu, Philips Research (The Netherlands)
Jon Mason, Philips Research (The Netherlands)
Bernt Meerbeek, Philips Research (The Netherlands)
Harm van Essen, Industrial Design department of the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands)
Serge Offermans, Industrial Design department of the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands)
Andrés Lucero, Nokia Research Center (Finland)

Submission instructions

To participate in this workshop at Interact 2011, please submit a 2-4 page position paper describing your experience, findings or interests relevant to the themes of the workshop. Please prepare your submission according to the Springer proceedings template format. For instructions about the format, please visit: http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0.

Deadline for submissions is June 17, 2011.
Notification of acceptance by June 28, 2011.

Papers can be submitted by email to Dzmitry Aliakseyeu at [log in to unmask]