From:
Stefan Sauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Sauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:50:50 +0200
Broken Weblink to workshop homepage fixed! Sorry for the erroneous posting!

*International Workshop on Human-Centered Software Engineering for Changing
Contexts of Use*

organized by IFIP Working Group 13.2 on Methodologies for User-Centered Systems
Design

*August 31, 2021*

https://sites.google.com/view/hcse-workshop-interact2021/

at *INTERACT 2021* - The 18th IFIP TC 13 International Conference on
Human-Computer Interaction

https://www.interact2021.org/

August 30 – September 3, 2021
Bari, Italy

*Call for Papers*

*Submissions: position papers reporting original academic or industrial research
relevant to the workshop's theme (PDF files, 6-10 pages in Springer LNCS format
<https://www.springer.com/it/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines>)*

*Deadline for submission: April 30, 2021*

*Theme*

The context of use plays an important role in Human-Centered Software
Engineering (HCSE) and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research. Typically,
user, environment, and platform are considered to make up the core aspects of
the context of use. Changing the context of use, for example due to unplanned
circumstances like the current pandemic situation, has significant impact
on how
we use systems, and how we adapt and adopt them even if the systems were not
designed for such usages. In HCSE research we have to account for this change,
making interactive system development context-aware or design and develop
in a
way that systems can adapt for novel forms of usage. Recently, we observe

developments that strongly change contexts of use. For example, in the area of
industrial automation (Industry 4.0) work environments change, new kinds of user
assistance evolve, and workers are going to be supported by innovative types of
devices and digital assistance tools to accomplish their working tasks. Typical
examples are augmented, virtual, and mixed reality applications in training or
support situations. The COVID-19 pandemic has drastically changed where and the
way how we work, particularly in collaboration with others to keep distance and
increase personal safety. In contrast, the trend towards increasingly autonomous
systems and systems that use and provide artificial intelligence gives rise to
new kinds of interaction, particularly, human-machine interaction (HMI), in
areas such as autonomous driving or human-robot collaboration in different
domains such as industrial production, logistics, or health. These trends
should
be accounted for in the way we design and build such interactive systems,

possibly coming to evolutionary or even revolutionary solutions. For example,
expected or unforeseen changes of usage scenarios and their context of use may
be accounted for by flexible and more resilient system solutions and be
reflected in the development practices and technical frameworks. Specific
kinds
of interaction such as HMI, but also social and socio-technical interaction may
demand for more prominent and explicit consideration. Quality aspects such as
ubiquity, security, and safety may be seen in a different light. Changing

contexts of use may even have an impact on the way we think about user
motivation and user experience, away from short-term notions like emotions
towards long-term traits like users’ values. We want to specifically account for
these developments in addition to the general concerns of HCSE. Discussions and
interactive working sessions will particularly deal with these concerns.

*Objective*

In this workshop, we aim to broaden the traditional scope of the workshop
series
of IFIP Working Group 13.2. We focus on the study of context of use, its
long-term evolutionary trends as well as its short-term design and management in
a user-centered design process, from a social and user-centered methodological
viewpoint as well as from a technical viewpoint. Our aim is to cover a large set
of user interface perspectives, aspects, and properties and fuel new ideas and
approaches for research and practice. The long-term perspective of this workshop
is to foster the development of theories, methods, tools and approaches for
dealing with the changing context of use and its impact on HCI and collaboration
that should be taken into account when developing interactive and
socio-technical systems.

This workshop is a follow-up of the successful workshops organized at INTERACT
2017 in Mumbai, India
(<http://ifip-tc13.org/wg-13-213-5-workshop-interact17-mumbai/>) and INTERACT
2019 in Paphos, Cyprus
(<https://sites.google.com/view/ifipwg132workshopinteract19/>).

*Target Audience and Expected Outcomes*

This workshop is open to everyone who is interested in aspects of human-computer
interaction froma user-centered perspective. Typical contributions to this
workshop focus on user interface properties while designing and building
interactive systems and study associated methods, processes and approaches. We
expect a high participation of IFIP Working Group 13.2 members. We particularly
invite participants to present position papers describing real-life case studies
that illustrate the role of the context of use in HCI and its impact on
thesystem design and use. Any perspective and related aspects of user interface
design are welcome. However, we are especially interested in work that deals
with current trends that change the way how humans use, interact and collaborate
with technical components in socio-technical systems. We are also interested in
methods, theories and tools for managing context of use at design and run-time.
Position papers will be made available through the workshop website.
Furthermore, an extended version of selected papers will be considered for
inclusion in a Springer LNCS post-proceedings volume published in conjunction
with the other INTERACT workshops organized by the IFIP TC13 Working Groups.

*Workshop Format*

This full-day workshop is organized around presentation of position papers and
working activities in small groups. From the set of contributions, a subset of
selected case studies will be invited to be presented at the beginning of
the
workshop and will be used to support the discussion that follows. The morning
session will be dedicated to welcoming participants and presenting case studies.
Participants will be invited to comment on the case studies and to report

similar experiences. The afternoon sessions will be devoted to interactive
sessions, where participants will be engaged to work in small groups and propose
solutions to the problems of the case studies seen in the morning. Solutions
proposed by the participants will be compiled and compared. Based on the lessons
learned, participants will be incited to draft an agenda of future work that can
be accomplished. We plan to run the workshop in a hybrid setting, allowing
attendees to participate both physically and remotely in the workshop. If

circumstances require it, we intend to switch to a completely digital format
that will be run online. We will continuously adapt to any decision regarding
the conference format by the INTERACT 2021 organizers.

*Submission Instructions*

In order to attend the workshop, participants are invited to submit position
papers reporting original academic or industrial research relevant to the

workshop's theme. These position papers (PDF files, 6-10 pages in Springer LNCS
format
<https://www.springer.com/it/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines>,
including abstract) shall report practical experiences related to research
results on user-centered development processes for interactive systems with a
particular focus on context-of-use aspects and the impact on software
properties. Submissions are not anonymous and should include all author names,
affiliations, and contact information. Authors should also provide in their
submission a short summary of their experience in the field and their motivation
to participate in this workshop. Papers are submitted through the EasyChair
website <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hcse-interact2021>.

Submitted position papers will be reviewed by an international program committee
comprising the organizers and selected members of IFIP Working Group 13.2
who
are experts in the field. Participants will be invited to attend the workshop
based on the result of the reviewing process. Accepted position papers will be
made available through the workshop website. Upon acceptance, at least one
author of each accepted position paper must register and attend the workshop.
Furthermore, an extended version of selected papers will be considered for
inclusion in a Springer LNCS post-proceedings volume published in conjunction
with the other INTERACT 2021 workshops organized by the IFIP TC13 Working
Groups.

*Important Dates*

Deadline for submission: April 30, 2021

Acceptance notification: June 11th, 2021

Final version of position paper: June 28, 2021

Workshop date: August 31, 2021

*Organizers*

Stefan Sauer, Paderborn University, Germany (sauer[at]uni-paderborn.de)

Regina Bernhaupt, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
(r.bernhaupt[at]tue.nl)

Carmelo Ardito, Polytechnic University of Bari, Italy (carmelo.ardito[at]poliba.it)

*Venue*

The workshop will be hosted in the frame of the 18th IFIP TC13 International
Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, August 30 – September 3, 2021, in
Bari, Italy. Look at the main conference web site for further information

(https://www.interact2021.org/ <https://www.interact2021.org/>).