From:
Eric Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:27:28 -0700
Informal SIG: Design & Usability of Information Appliances
              and Interactive Consumer Products

Organizers:   Eric Bergman & Annette Wagner (Sun Microsystems)
              Jim Wilson (Motorola)

              AT CHI 99 IN PITTSBURGH

This informal SIG will focus on bringing together members
of the CHI community who are designing and building mass market
consumer products.

Our interest is products that are NOT implemented on a
PC "desktop".  The focus is on user interface issues surrounding
special purpose information appliances and consumer products
that are interactive (we are not covering consumer user interfaces
that reside on general purpose computers).

If you work on products or applied research in areas
related to the following, consider attending this SIG:

- Internet Screen Phones
- Personal Digital Assistants
- Automobile Systems (e.g, navigation, info, etc)
- Television Set Top Boxes
- Cellular Phones/Pagers
- Interactive Toys/Games
- Digital Cameras
- "Information Appliances"
- Content for these domains
  (e.g., for interactive TV, special purpose devices, etc)

GOALS FOR THE CHI 99 MEETING
============================

1) Make contacts with others in this emerging field.

2) Identify common interests and specify ongoing goals
   for future exploration and information sharing.
   (e.g., perhaps continue as a permanent interest group)

3) Define goals and a plan for a formal SIG or Workshop
   on this topic to be held at CHI 2000.

SIG TIME/LOCATION
=================
Informal SIG signup occurs at CHI, so we cannot provide
date, time, or location yet.

Please see the informal SIG signup board in the Commons area
and look for our announcement on bulletin boards at CHI 99
for the date and time.

BRING TOYS!
Anybody who has products, prototypes, or other examples of
interactive consumer products -- bring them to the meeting.

QUESTIONS or SUGGESTIONS?
Send email to Eric, Annette, and Jim at: