Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 16:59:53 +0100
From:
Sherry Chen <[log in to unmask]>
> [Apologies for cross posting.]
> ************************
> We are happy to invite you to submit a chapter to our research book,
> User Centred Design for Medical Visualisation. Please see the details
> below.

Call for Chapters

Submission Deadline: June 30, 2006

User Centered Design for Medical Visualization

A book edited by Dr. Feng Dong, Dr. George Ghinea and Dr. Sherry Y.
Chen,
Brunel University, UK

Introduction
Medical Visualization is an interdisciplinary area which involves a
large number of diverse issues across computer and medical sciences.
Currently, the vast majority of existing medical visualization
techniques polarise their efforts on data modelling and rendering. Their
target is to generate high quality photo-realistic images with a great
deal of fine structure details, such as blood vessels, muscle fibres,
etc. Such images convey significant visual information for applications
such as computer aided diagnosis and virtual surgery, etc.  However,
many of these works have put too much emphasis on producing decent
images, while neglecting the human factors involved during a
visualization process.
Previous experiences and examples have strongly suggested that simply
using graphic techniques to display medical data may not provide
adequate support for clinicians. As a new research trend, the interest
in human factors within the medical visualization research community has
been increasing over the last few years. Instead of simply generating
high quality photo-realistic images, researchers have started to pay
more attention to the human perspective. In fact, there is a growing
body of evidence suggesting the strong need to study human factors as a
basis for Medical Visualization design. Moreover, human's perspective,
thinking and interaction with images significantly affect their
understanding of the information presented visually. As the ultimate
goal of Medical Visualization is to accurately deliver clinical
information for medical professionals, an effective visualization
process should include users as an integral part of the course of
action.
The Overall Objective of the Book
This book aims at providing a comprehensive overview of the state of the
art in the area of human factors in Medical Visualization, covering a
large number of issues both in Medical Visualization and in Human
Computer Interaction. It will offer a valuable vision for a wide range
of readers, providing insight into analytical and architectural aspects
of user centred design for Medical Visualization, as well as
demonstrating real world applications.

The Target Audience
The book will be useful to professionals and academic researchers
working in various areas, such as medical visualization, medical
science, medical imaging, human-computer interaction, computer graphics,
image processing, computer vision and industry. Moreover, it will
provide a source of reference and a guide for students working on
relevant projects.

Topics of interest may focus on, but are not restricted to:
*	Display Algorithms for Medical Feature Enhancement
1	Large Dataset Visualization
2	Time-Varying Medical Data
3	Multiresolution Methods in Medical Visualization
4	Mutlimodal Issues in Medical Visualization
5	Volume Visualization
6	Parallel visualization
7	Distributed Medical Visualization
8	Collaborative Medical Visualization
9	Medical Visualization in Wireless Environments.
*	Virtual Reality in Medical Visualization
1	Medical Visualization Systems
*	Evaluation of Visualization Quality
	1	Modelling of Human Needs
	2	Investigation of User Perceptions
	3	Influence of Human Factors

Submission Procedure
Researchers and practitioners are invited to send on or before June 30,
2006, a completed author form
<http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~csstsyc/authors_form_User_Centered_Medic_Vi
sc.doc>  with a 600-800 word manuscript proposal organized in sections
as follows: aim, main methodology, results, and significance of the
contribution. Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by July 21,
2006 about the status of their proposals and be sent chapter
organizational guidelines. Full chapters are expected to be submitted by
November 15, 2006. All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a
double-blind review basis. The book is scheduled to be published by Idea
Group, Inc., www.idea-group.com, publisher of the Idea Group Publishing,
Information Science Publishing, IRM Press, CyberTech Publishing and Idea
Group Reference imprints. Inquiries and submissions can be forwarded
electronically (MS-Word document format or RTF) to the editors.

Editors of the book
Dr. Feng Dong
School of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex
UB8 3PH, UK
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 1895 267073
Fax: +44 1895 251686

Dr. Sherry Y. Chen
School of Information Systems, Computing and Mathematics
Brunel University
Uxbridge, Middlesex
UB8 3PH, UK
Email: [log in to unmask]