From:
"John M. Carroll" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John M. Carroll
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:29:30 -0400
HCI Educators and Practitioners

Mary Beth Rosson, Craig Ganoe and I are getting organized to update
the database and Web-UI software for our Usability Case Studies
project: http://ucs.ist.psu.edu. We want to apply for educational
infrastructure support from NSF (CISE Computing Research
Infrastructure).

One of the areas of new functionality we want to develop is support
for people outside Penn State to author and post case studies, and
for all users to annotate case studies. We also want to provide more
direct support for case-based learning activities (that is, beyond
just providing access to the case study content).

We need to gather letters of support that we can show to NSF to
assure them that there is interest in this online repository of
usability case studies beyond Penn State. If you have used the case
studies in your teaching or learning, we would very much appreciate a
brief letter (pdf of a letterhead document) describing this. (So it
isn't free after all!)

If you have not (yet) used the case studies, perhaps not yet heard of
the case studies, please take a look, and if you think you might want
to use them, then that could also be expressed as support for
developing this infrastructure.  Please drop me an email if you would
like help in framing a support statement.

Finally, if you have specific ideas about what we could do better
with the UCS site, this would be a great time to get them into our
plans.  Cheers!

Jack

John M. Carroll
Edward M. Frymoyer Chair in Information Sciences and Technology
Professor of Information Sciences and Technology, Computer Science
and Engineering, Instructional Systems, and Psychology
The Pennsylvania State University
307H IST Building
University Park, PA 16802-6823
Phone: 1.814.863.2476; Fax: 1.814.865.6426
Web: http://cscl.ist.psu.edu/public/users/jcarroll/Self