From:
"Erete, Sheena" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erete, Sheena
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 13:56:29 +0000
Begin forwarded message:

From: Tawanna Dillahunt <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: January 2, 2017 at 10:55:03 PM CST
To: UMSI All Open <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>, UMSI Doctoral Students <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: [CFP] CSCW 2017 Workshop on Reflections on Design Methods for Underserved Communities

Happy New Year all!

We have extended the deadline to January 9 (by 5pm EST). We hope to hear from you soon!

-Tawanna

Submission Deadline:  December 30
Workshop Date: Sunday, February 26, 2017

Hi all, I'd like to advertise our upcoming workshop at CSCW.

If you're interested, please submit a position paper at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. If you know someone who may be interested, please help us spread the word!

Details are below:

HCI researchers are increasingly interested in supporting the needs of underserved communities, including low-income, gendered, ethnic, and racialized populations, and people with disabilities. But research and design methods developed primarily for Western urban professionals often break down in the face of the complex structural and historic circumstances of such communities and resulting systemic challenges such as poverty, illiteracy, geographic isolation, or global marginalization. For example, methods such as focus groups may assume an unproblematic relationship between the researcher and participants, which often does not hold in communities which have been systematically marginalized from design. Researchers are beginning to develop alternative approaches, such as those inspired by participatory design (PD), action research (AR), community-based research design (CBPR), or feminist HCI, to deal with some of these challenges in a situated manner.

The goal of this workshop is to support our developing understanding of appropriate HCI methods for supporting such communities, by documenting challenges that have arisen in applying HCI methods to them, identifying ways to adapt methods to make them more appropriate to underserved communities, and articulating the conditions under which these methods are or are not successful. At the workshop, participants will collaborate with one another to explore their own as well as past, present, and future research and design initiatives with underserved communities; discuss challenges and lessons learned from using methods to facilitate technological development and creation among such populations; and brainstorm methods and solutions to address these challenges.
Interested participants may submit a 2-3 page position paper in the CSCW format via email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Position papers should briefly describe all or a subset of the following:

1. Results of your formative work (if applicable)
2. A summary of your research questions and the methods that you have used or plan to use
3. A description of the populations with whom you have experience or intentions of working.
4. Note any existing tensions you see within this community and as a result of their presence in this community, proposed technologies created or explored within these communities, and reflections about the methods used.

Organizing Committee

  *   Tawanna Dillahunt
  *   Sheena Erete
  *   Roxana Galusca