Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:21:51 -0700
Sender:
From:
Jhilmil Jain <[log in to unmask]>
*CFP: CHI 2009 Workshop: Best Practices in Longitudinal Research*

[Extended] Submission Deadline: Friday Oct 31, 2008, 5pm PDT

Workshop overview
------------------
Traditional user research and evaluation methods tend to focus on
'first-time' experiences with products, which trends the results towards
discoverability problems, rather than usability concerns that may persist
over time. This workshop will extend current thinking by an in-depth
discussion of methods and metrics for longitudinal data collection. Our goal
is to identify and describe best practices for longitudinal research.

This is the fourth event in an ongoing effort by the organizers to enhance
our current body of knowledge about longitudinal research. We invite
practitioners and academics who have experience with longitudinal studies to
*submit a 3-4 page position paper (in CHI Extended Abstracts format) plus a
short bio by email to [log in to unmask] by October 31, 2008* in
order to participate in this one-day workshop.

Your position paper should describe a longitudinal research case study,
including:
· Research questions addressed
· Study design and methodologies used
· Participant characteristics, recruiting, retention
· Data analysis and comparison techniques used
· Lessons learned. We are interested in both successes and failures of the
study.

A sample case study template is available at:
http://longitudinalusability.wikispaces.com/CaseStudyTemplate
We will select a variety of case studies from participants with diverse
experience. Participants will receive all the position papers in advance, so
they may formulate discussion questions before the workshop. The organizers
will also publish a draft agenda and for the in-depth discussions during the
workshop.

Please note that workshop participants must register for the workshop and
for one or more days of the CHI 2009 conference. Workshop fees for
participants is estimated to be $175 for a one-day workshop.

Up-to-date information on the workshop will be available at:
http://longitudinalusability.wikispaces.com/

Important Dates:
Submission deadline - 31st October 2008
Notification - 29th November 2008