Sender:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:14:48 +0100
From:
Benjamin Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
****BCS HCI 2012****
**Birmingham, UK. September 12th-14th**
Deadline for Submissions: 13th July 2012 @ 23:59pm BST
========
Does your work push the bounds of HCI? Do you find mentioning it amongst
your colleagues sparks endless debate? Are you working with a group of
users that are in some way extreme or exploring conceptions of
technology that do not fit or standard models? Do you have a weird
finding or observation you would like to share, but that does not seem
to fit into traditional ways of talking about HCI? Are you simply
revisiting and area that was once mainstream and is now out of fashion,
or dismissed? Or reproducing an old result and finding it not quite as
expected?

Perhaps you are investigating methods for inducing negative user
experience, or for not getting things done (or is that Facebook?). Maybe
you would like to argue for the importance of Taylorism within HCI, or
explore user interfaces for the neonate.
We are looking for papers and topics that make us think again about HCI,
that spark discussion, that would get highly divergent grades in
standard review process.
Human–Computer Interaction is a broad discipline, and the British HCI
conference has always been more accepting of the range of this than some
venues. However, we still need to be challenged, to see new things, or
see the old in new ways.
This is the place to do it!

Review and Submission Process
============
Submissions should not be anonymised.
We will be adopting a largely open review process, where we well invite
discussion and comment on submitted papers, and the vibrancy of this
discussion will be a major criterion in acceptance. Authors will be
strongly encouraged to enter into that discussion with other papers,
maybe find threads between the work even during this phase.
In addition we are looking for quality. The results that you find might
be challenging, the area you address might be uncomfortable, the methods
you use might be unusual, but do present your arguments and reasons
clearly even of their conclusions are controversial.
However, do feel free to experiment with format and genre (within the
bounds of the publication guidelines!): dialogue, snippets of poetry,
cartoons. Whatever carries the message and stimulates thought.
Submit your papers using the Easychair system:
https://www.easychair.org/account/signin.cgi?conf=hci2012

Papers should be written using the EWics format available on the
conference website: http://hci2012.bcs.org/submission.html

Any queries please contact the Alt HCI chairs:
Alan Dix ([log in to unmask])
Michael Twidale ([log in to unmask])

--
Benjamin R Cowan PhD MBPsS

NB- I do not check my email at weekends or much in the evening.
If anything is urgent please phone.