From:
Elly Lammers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 08:58:37 +0200
INTERACT 2011 - 13th IFIP TC13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction
Lisbon, Portugal September, 5-9 2011

Call for Participation
*Building Bridges – HCI and Visualization
*
Achim Ebert, Gitta Domik, Nahum Gershon, and Gerrit van der Veer

Whenever discussing the relation between HCI and visualization in
general or when
presenting research results in these areas, questions arise about the
differences between
these research fields. Aren’t both fields just the same? And if not,
where is the common
ground? Can we combine the separated viewpoints and paradigms in a
unified and
complementary approach, or are we forced to choose one or the other? How
can we provide
the general public a precise and practical enough idea about what’s
happening in these fields
and what’s not? What are the consequences of the answers on the
previous: how and what
should we teach? What will be the future? This dilemma is a topic of
frequent discussion
around the water cooler, lecture halls, as well as in the board room. In
our workshop to be
held during the INTERACT 2011 conference, we are going to discuss the
different
approaches and capabilities of these two disciplines and layout a road
map for a unified
approach of research using both.
*Participants:*
We welcome participants from various backgrounds interested in research
and application of
HCI and visualization, including designers, artists, researchers in
visualization, interaction,
psychology, and usability, and people from all application fields.
Prospective attendees should
submit open position papers from their own areas of interest and also
provide short answers
to two pro forma questions asking for (i) the participant's views on the
most important existing
knowledge in the area, including a position statement on possible
definitions, and (ii) key
research challenges related to HCI and Visualization issues.
*Important Deadlines:*
Submission of extended abstracts (1-2 pages): June 10, 2011
Acceptance notification: July 1, 2011
Date of the workshop: September 5, 2011
*Intended Outcomes:*
It is planned to compile a book containing all full position papers to
be submitted by the
workshop attendances. Furthermore, the results of the discussions should
form common
ground for at least one high-quality conference or journal paper.
*More Information*
For more and continuously updated information visit our web site at
http://www.hciv.de