From:
Andrew Kun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Kun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2017 23:21:43 +0200

  Call for Reflection Statements

  Workshop on Augmented Reality for Intelligent Vehicles

  co-located with AutomotiveUI 2017 (http://www.auto-ui.org/17)

  September 24-27, 2017 | Oldenburg, Germany

  http://www.andreasriener.com/AutoUI17WS_ARV/

It is forecast that augmented reality (AR automotive applications will increase road safety, bring intuitive activities to driving, and finally enhance driving experience (DX). AR technology may also help on the transition towards automated driving. However, many technological challenges need to be addressed before AR applications will hit the mainstream market. In this workshop, we will discuss potential and constraints as well as impact, role, and adequacy of AR in driving applications. The overarching goal is to define a research agenda for the general use of AR in intelligent vehicles within the next 3-5 years.

The aim of the workshop can be broken up into three specific goals:

Goal 1: Discuss practical usage

-------------------------------

First, we aim to exchange ideas on the practical usage of AR devices in exploring augmented reality for vehicles. We invite experts to present their experiences with, and reflections on, using AR, and relate these experiences and reflections to use in or around vehicles. Specifically, we are interested in relating practical experiences to the next two goals of the workshop.

Goal 2: Identify challenges and hypotheses

Second, we aim to outline a set of research challenges, for the coming 3 to 5 years, to provide reflections about these challenges, and to support these challenges with a set of hypotheses.

Goal 3: Chart research roadmap

------------------------------

Finally, we aim to propose a roadmap to tackle the challenges and test some of the hypotheses.

Submission Guidelines

The target audience for this workshop are researchers and practitioners in the AutoUI/HCI community, who are interested to bring forward the field of AR in driving applications. We invite researchers interested in this workshop to submit (short) reflection statements per Email to the workshop organizers.

Submissions for the workshop (not anonymous, i.e. including author names and affiliations) should be compiled using the CHI extended abstracts (EA) format. We encourage participants to submit 1-4 page reflection statements contributing to one or more of the workshop goals- see above. Successful submissions will have the potential to raise discussion, provide insights for other attendees, or illustrate problems and provide potential solutions. Submission deadline is August 16, 2017.

Organizers and Contact

Andrew Kun, University of New Hampshire, USA

Manfred Tscheligi, University of Salzburg, Austria

Andreas Riener, Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt, Germany

Hidde van der Meulen, University of New Hampshire, USA

Email: [log in to unmask]

WWW:   http://www.andreasriener.com/AutoUI17WS_ARV/

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.