Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:29:53 +0800
Call for Participation:

*Workshop 1:*

*2nd International Workshop on Social Recommender Systems*
(in conjunction with CSCW 2011
http://cscw2011.org/program/workshops.html
)
Hangzhou, China, March 19-23, 2011

Abstract submission deadline: Dec. 19, 2010

For more information, see http://www.comp.hkbu.edu.hk/~lichen/srs2011/
Social media sites have become tremendously popular in recent years.Yet, the
abundance and popularity of social media floods users with huge volumes of
information and hence poses a great challenge in terms of information
finding. Social Recommender Systems aim to alleviate information overload
for users by presenting the most relevant and
useful information items. Social recommender systems that suggest content
(e.g., wikis and forum posts), people, and communities often use
personalization techniques to adapt to the needs and interests of individual
users, or a group of users. This workshop will bring together researchers
and practitioners around the emerging topics of social recommender systems.
We will review state-of-the-art advances in the field and identify key
challenges going forward.

IMPORTANT DATES
• December 19, 2010: Submission of title and abstract (500 words)
• December 30, 2010: Author notification
• January 7, 2011: Online registration through CSCW site
(http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=871132)
• February 12, 2011: Submission of full paper (1 to 8 pages)
PAPER SUBMISSION
We are seeking participants from academia and industry who are conducting
researches on all aspects of social recommender systems. An abstract of 500
words (with author names and affiliations) should be submitted in PDF format
by email to [log in to unmask] by December 19, 2010. The abstract should include
a statement of the objective and significance of the proposed presentation,
a description of methods and a discussion of results. The selection will be
based on a peer review process.
Authors, whose abstract is accepted, will be required to further submit a
full paper (1 to 8 pages long) by February 12, 2011, to be published on the
workshop site. The full version should be prepared according to HCI Archive
Format (http://cscw2011.org/cfp/format.html#hci-archive).
Organizers
Ido Guy, IBM Haifa Research Lab, Israel ([log in to unmask])
Li Chen, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
Michelle X. Zhou, IBM Almaden Research Lab, USA ([log in to unmask])
*
*
*Workshop 2:*
*
*
*Workshop on Mobile Collaboration in the Developing World *at the 2011 ACM
Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW 2011) March 20, 2011
- Hangzhou, China

POSITION PAPER DEADLINE: December 20, 2010

For more information, see http://sites.google.com/site/mobilecollab2011/

With the ever increasing use of mobile devices, especially in developing
countries like China and India, we envision a new generation of applications
that will change the ways that we work and live. In this workshop, we are
interested in exploring how mobile devices and technologies are re-shaping
collaboration among people in the developing world. For example, mobile
collaboration technologies might help knowledge sharing among farmers, sales
coordination among small commodity vendors, and family-based health care
monitoring for the elderly. This forum will bring together researchers and
practitioners in the areas of mobile computing, social collaboration, and
technology for the developing world, as well as subject matter experts
(e.g., experts in small commodity trading and family-based health care) to
brainstorm and identify opportunities and test beds where we can develop and
deploy new mobile collaboration applications in the developing world.

To encourage cross-organization, interdisciplinary collaboration, we will
invite approximately 30 participants from various organizations, including
universities, government agencies, and industrial research labs. Ideal
participants will be top researchers in the areas of mobile computing,
collaboration technologies, or technologies for the developing world. We
will also invite several subject matter experts, to help ground the
attendees in real problems faced by people in the developing world.

Participants will be selected on the basis of a submitted position paper
that is evaluated by a program committee of experts in mobile technologies,
collaboration, and technologies for the developing world. The position paper
should briefly describe the authors' background in these fields and present
short descriptions of any of the authors' relevant past, current, or future
projects related to the topic.

Position papers may range in length from 1-4 pages in the standard ACM
format, and should be submitted by email to the workshop chairs at

ORGANIZERS

Michelle X. Zhou, Jeffrey Nichols
IBM Research - Almaden
San Jose, California USA