From:
Daniel Wigdor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Wigdor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:22:12 +0000
Apologies for duplication - please forward to other appropriate lists.

Dear Members of the CHI Community,

As chairs of alt.chi 2010, we are sending this message to invite you to take part in the discussion phase of the alt.chi submission process. This year we are trying out a new review process that gives you the unique opportunity to view and review any of the submissions.

In its short history, alt.chi has been host to some of the most compelling and memorable presentations at the CHI conference. At alt.chi, we are looking for papers that propose bold and novel ideas, which will get the community excited, and think about new directions for our field. More information about alt.chi can be found here: http://www.chi2010.org/authors/cfp-altchi.html

To open up the process, we are hosting the submissions on the PCS system, and allowing anyone to browse, review, or discuss any of the submissions. We want your opinion on what makes a good alt.chi paper. With your help, we can identify the submissions that will be of most interest to attendees at the CHI 2010 conference.

We invite and encourage you to browse the alt.chi 2010 submissions. For those submissions that capture your interest, we invite you to submit a review so your thoughts can be heard by the rest of the community. We also welcome you to participate in the discussion thread for that paper once your review has been entered, and to invite other people who you think will be interested to enter their comments. An acceptance criterion will be the nature of the discussion that a submission generates.

The submissions are already visible on PCS (http://www.precisionconference.com/~sigchi). Click on your "review in progress" link and then you should see a link "See submissions and consider reviewing for CHI 2010 alt.chi." Clicking this link will show you all of the submissions from which you can browse and enter reviews. This discussion phase will end on January 25th.

Before viewing the papers and entering reviews, some things to keep in mind:

1) Please remember that even though the review process for alt.chi is open, the SIGCHI Volunteer Agreement still applies. That is, all submission materials should be kept confidential and should not be discussed or disseminated in any form outside of this review process.

2) When you enter a review, by default, your name will not be disclosed to the submission authors. It will be disclosed to the alt.chi chairs, but not to any other reviewers. However, given the open review process of alt.chi, we encourage you to sign your review by entering your name and affiliation at the end of the review form. Signing your review is optional, but doing so would allow authors to see who has commented on their work.

3) At alt.chi, we are looking for papers that will be interesting, thought provoking, controversial, or conveying to the CHI audience. We want papers that will get people's attention, and provoke discussions both at and after the conference. This should be the primary criteria for judging the paper.

4) Because we want the submission to generate discussion, you are allowed to review papers, even if you have a conflict of interest with the authors.

We look forward to your participation in this process!

Thanks,

Tovi Grossman and Daniel Wigdor

alt.chi 2010 Chairs