From:
"Pfleging, B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pfleging, B.
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:58:05 +0000
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

Due to multiple requests and the COVID-19-related challenges, we are extending the deadline of the full manuscript submission to July 10, 2020.

With this extended deadline, we are also able to reach out to those who planned but did not send an abstract yet: If you still want to submit a manuscript, please reach out ASAP to the editors (email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

More detailed information about the call for papers follow:

https://ubisys.org/2020-it-special-issue-automotive/

| SPECIAL ISSUE of it - Information Technology (De Gruyter)

| Topic: Automotive User Interfaces in the Age of Automation

| Guest Editors: Bastian Pfleging, Shadan Sadeghian Borojeni, Debargha Dey

| Abstracts / titles due: June 8, 2020 ASAP
| Submission deadline: June 22, 2020  July 10, 2020

| Details https://ubisys.org/2020-it-special-issue-automotive/

| Contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Automotive User Interfaces in the Age of Automation

Special Issue for it - information technology

Aim of the Special Issue

--------------------

In the area of automotive user interfaces (research) a lot changed

during the last few years and since the last “it - information

technology” special issue on automotive user interfaces in 2012. Given

the expected shift towards automated driving, the rising importance of

climate change, and the appearance of novel mobility forms, new

challenges and opportunities for research have appeared. A lot of

research activities shifted from investigating how to support

interaction in and around manually driven cars towards understanding how

to design vehicles in the transition towards automation and with

alternative propulsion technologies from a human perspective. This

relates both to interaction aspects inside and outside of the vehicle.

Looking at the interaction within the car, novel HCI aspects refer, for

example, to the design of control transitions between driver and vehicle

and how to support non-driving-related tasks once the driver can assume

a passenger role in the (partly) automated car. Especially with a

gradual transition towards automated driving, we see many challenges on

how to shift responsibilities between the car and the driver or how to

implement shared control. This also involves aspects on creating and

maintaining situational awareness and especially finding solutions to

establish and maintain trust while leveraging user acceptance of

automation technology.

Furthermore, the role of infotainment becomes even more important as we

can imagine that the interior may convert into a mobile office, living

room, dining room, or maybe even support relaxation and sleeping - at

least in the far future. This inevitably translates to a need for

rethinking the interior, finding novel interaction concepts, and

investigating how, for instance, novel materials, shape change, or novel

user interfaces can assist drivers and passengers and make the ride more

comfortable.

Once the car takes over control, another arising challenge is the design

of the communication with other road users such as pedestrians, cyclists

or drivers of manually driven cars: As the driver does not have to

monitor the road and may be involved in non-driving-related activities,

other road users may lose the ability to communicate with the driver

(e.g. through gestures and gaze) and technical solutions may be needed

to replace this traditional form of communication. The influence of such

communication concepts on the driving behavior, traffic flow, and their

social acceptability can play an important role in future traffic

situations.

As the major research direction has significantly changed since the last

IT special issue on this topic, with this prospective special issue on

automotive user interfaces in the age of the (almost) automated vehicle,

we want to give an overview of hot topics in this field and outline the

current challenges and research directions as mentioned above and

specified in the exemplary list topics outlined below.

Important Dates & Facts

--------------------

* Abstract/title submission: ASAP (e-mail to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

* Manuscripts due: June 22, 2020   July 10, 2020

* Notification to authors: July 31, 2020

* Final versions due: September 4, 2020

* Tentative publication: End of 2020
* Submission site: http://www.editorialmanager.com/itit/
* Author instructions: https://www.degruyter.com/view/supplement/s21967032_Instructions_for_Authors.pdf
* Manuscript templates: Word, LaTeX
* Submission language: English

Scope

-----------

In this special issue, we especially invite researchers, scientists,

developers, and practitioners to submit contributions that are original

and unpublished and have not been submitted to any other journal,

magazine, or conference. We are soliciting original research related to

automotive user interfaces in the age of automation including - but not

limited to - the following:

* human-computer interaction related aspects of automotive user

interfaces in the transition towards automated driving

* user experience and usability

* novel approaches & technologies

* human factors

In detail this could be related for instance to:

* Interaction within the car

+ Non-Driving-Related Activities

+ Take-Over Requests / Control Transitions

+ Interaction modalities and novel interiors, e.g.,

* In-vehicle displays, including AR, 3D, HUD, …

* Physiological interfaces

* Affective computing & emotions

* Haptic interfaces

* Shape-changing interfaces and novel materials

* Multimodal interfaces

+ Infotainment Systems & Passenger Entertainment

+ Driver Assistance

* Interacting with other road users

+ Interaction between cyclists and pedestrians and automated vehicles

+ Interacting with (other) automated vehicles & drivers

* Shared control and authority

* Mixed traffic scenarios

* Mode and situation awareness

* Vehicle-infrastructure interaction

* Legal issues and legislation

* Theories and research methods

* Acceptance, trust and complacency

* Interfaces and system that support sustainable and economic driving

Guest Editors & Contact

* Bastian Pfleging (Eindhoven University of Technology),

* Shadan Sadeghian Borojeni (Siegen University),

* Debargha Dey (Eindhoven University of Technology)

If you have any queries concerning this special issue, please send an

e-mail to the guest editors at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.