From:
Ville Paananen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ville Paananen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2021 11:55:19 +0000
Dear all!

Interested in spatial experiences, urban environments, technology speculation, and HCI? We bring you a multi-disciplinary workshop to be held at CHI 2021 and we are looking for your submissions! Please find more info below.

2VT: Visions, Technologies, and Visions of Technologies for Understanding Human Scale Spaces
https://crowdcomputing.net/2vt-workshop

Important dates:
Call for papers: December 15, 2020
Submission Deadline: February 19, 2021
Notification of acceptance: February 28, 2021
Workshop Date: JST: 8 May 2200 - 9 May 0200 / EDT: 8 May 0900-1300  / CEST: 8 May 1500-1900

Submissions:
There are two types of submissions we encourage:

  1.  a “traditional” paper providing a scientific contribution with empirical results, or
  2.  a “reflection” to propose visions or concepts and to reflect on how human scale spatial experience affects technological or creative solutions.

More information on the submissions can be found at the workshop website https://crowdcomputing.net/2vt-workshop

Spatial experience is an important subject in various fields, and in HCI it has been mostly investigated in the urban scale. Research on human scale spaces has focused mostly on the personal meaning or aesthetic and embodied experiences in the space. Further, spatial experience is increasingly topical in envisioning how to build and interact with technologies in our everyday lived environments, particularly in so-called smart cities. This workshop brings researchers and practitioners from diverse fields to collaboratively discover new ways to understand and capture human scale spatial experience and envision its implications to future technological and creative developments in our habitats. Using a speculative design approach, we sketch concrete solutions that could help to better capture critical features of human scale spaces and allow for unique possibilities for aspects such as urban play. As a result, we hope to contribute a road map for future HCI research on human scale spatial experience and its application.

Organizers:
Ville Paananen, University of Oulu
Piia Markkanen, University of Oulu
Jonas Oppenlaender, University of Oulu
Lik Hang Lee, KAIST; University of Oulu
Haider Ali Akmal, Lancaster University
Ava Fatah gen. Schieck, University College London
John Dunham, Rochester Institute of Technology
Konstantinos Papangelis, Rochester Institute of Technology
Nicholas James LaLone, University of Nebraska at Omaha
Niels van Berkel, Aalborg University; University College London
Jorge Goncalves, The University of Melbourne
Simo Hosio, University of Oulu

Apologies for cross-posting!

BR,
Ville Paananen
Väitöskirjatutkija | Doctoral researcher
Oulun yliopisto | University of Oulu
Jokapaikan tietotekniikka | Center for Ubiquitous Computing
Tel.  +358 50 555 3068
PO Box 8000, FI-90014 OULUN YLIOPISTO
www.oulu.fi<http://www.oulu.fi/yliopisto>