Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:02:35 +0000
From:
Kristina Höök <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

The deadline for the CHI workshop on Knowledge Production in Interaction Design has been extended until the 19th of January.

The link to our website does not work. The workshop description is therefore attached below.

Yours,

Kristina & the others

Knowledge Production in Interaction Design
Workshop at ACM CHI 2015 Conference, Seoul, Korea

Submission deadline: 19th January 2015
Notifications: 6th February 2015
Contact: Kristina Höök, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Organisers: Kristina Höök, Peter Dalsgaard, Stuart Reeves, Jeff Bardzell, Jonas Löwgren, Erik Stolterman, Yvonne Rogers

In this CHI 2015 one-day workshop, we will discuss what has been named intermediary research knowledge for Interaction Design (IxD). We aim to debate whether it captures what is key to design practice: generative, inspirational, design concepts, aesthetics, design skills and designerly ways of knowing. Recently new forms of intermediate knowledge have been proposed, such as strong concepts, bridging concepts, annotated portfolios, manifestos and so on. Even though these new forms of intermediate knowledge share some qualities they are also different in how they bring forth knowledge, how they articulate and manifest it, how and why it is intended to be used, etc. For instance, properties of these different forms of design knowledge can make the knowledge more suitable to serve generative, evaluative, inspirational, descriptive, critical or other concrete purposes.

The format of the workshop will be a highly constructive arena where we map out the coverage of different forms of intermediary IxD-knowledge forms, list instantiations of each form, debate their respective ‘strengths’ and purposes as IxD-theory. As this is a highly controversial topic, we do not expect to reach consensus, but rather a map of the difficult differences and discussions the field should engage with.

To participate, please submit a 2-page position statement to the workshop organiser, Kristina Höök, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. If accepted, at least one of the authors has to attend the workshop and register for at least one day of the CHI-conference.

Kristina Höök

Professor in Interaction Design at the CSC-school
Director of the Mobile Life centre
+46705617035