From:
Helena Mentis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helena Mentis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2020 22:45:15 -0400
Hello Greater SIGCHI Community:

The SIGCHI Executive Committee (EC) invites applications and/or nominations
of candidates to fill the positions of Adjunct Chairs for Equity, Adjunct
Chair for Accessibility, and Adjunct Chair for Community Engagement.

A brief description of adjunct chairs can be found in the SIGCHI Bylaws
<https://sigchi.org/about/sigchi-policies/bylaws/>:
*The SIGCHI President, with the approval of the Executive Committee, shall
designate adjunct chairs for specific purposes within SIGCHI. Adjunct
chairs shall have a specific responsibility, and their position shall
report to a specific officer. Adjunct chair positions terminate at the end
of the President’s term, at the completion of the specific responsibility,
or at the discretion of the President.*

We anticipate that all appointed adjunct chairs will work closely with the
SIGCHI President. We ask that the appointees be willing to make a time
commitment of approximately 5 hours per week on average, and on a regular
basis. This is not including monthly EC meetings that last 1–2 hours each,
and quarterly in-person (travel-permitting) EC meetings that typically last
2.5 days. Additionally, we would encourage the appointed ACs to remain in
regular communication with other EC members and engage on EC-wide projects,
such as virtual town halls, group blog posts or interactions articles,
among others.

If you would like to be considered or wish to nominate someone to be
considered for any of these positions, please fill out the appropriate
application, by *August 7 2020, 11.59pm AoE
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/aoe>*. All nominations will be
contacted for a full application. All applications will be reviewed and
then a subset will be interviewed by a subset of EC members for each call.
A final choice will be submitted to the full EC for a vote of approval. The
intended start date is *August 31, 2020*.

*Adjunct Chairs for Equity*
As we make efforts to expand diversity and inclusion initiatives and their
coverage, we would like adjunct chairs who can oversee these initiatives
and the charge for diverse equity issues across the SIGCHI community. We
are looking to recruit a set of adjunct chairs who care deeply about issues
of equity within SIGCHI, are passionate about taking action to bring about
positive change, and are willing to make the time to craft and realize a
vision for the community.

We anticipate up to three new adjunct chairs to be appointed who will work
together and with the new Adjunct Chair for Accessibility (see the call
below), to oversee various equity and inclusion initiatives, be sensitive
and responsive to the needs of different communities that find themselves
on the margins of the SIGCHI community, and contribute inputs to a
long-term strategy to address structural inequality. We are not defining
these roles a priori, but we imagine the adjunct chairs would address
issues related to our racial diversity, LGBTQ+ inclusion, cultural
differences, and/or geographic marginality. The appointed Adjunct Chairs
will then name their own titles and define their remit together.

Please submit your application or nomination at
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ac4equity. Candidates will be evaluated
by a subset
of the EC <https://sigchi.org/executive-committee/> (Mentis, Lampe, Kumar,
Bardzell, Williamson) on a vision for how we can do better.

*Adjunct Chair for Accessibility*
As we make efforts to expand our accessibility initiatives and their
coverage, we would like an adjunct chair who can lead the implementation of
accessibility initiatives in the SIGCHI community. This individual would
help promote and expand our efforts to make all SIGCHI events, products,
and experiences accessible and available to all people. We are looking to
recruit an adjunct chair who cares deeply about issues of accessibility
within SIGCHI, is passionate about taking action to bring about positive
change, and is willing to make the time to craft and communicate a vision
for the community.

We intend for the new Adjunct Chair for Accessibility to work closely with
the new Adjunct Chairs for Equity (see the call above). This position also
will be working closely with different EC members to support their
accessibility efforts, learning about relevant SIGCHI and ACM policies in
this area, coordinating professional accessibility staff, and supporting
steering committee chairs and conference chairs in making their conferences
more accessible. One of the most important aspects of this role is to
regularly solicit feedback from all members of SIGCHI, present that
feedback to the EC, and communicate the vision and timeline of
accessibility efforts back to the SIGCHI community.

Please submit your application or nomination at
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ac4a11y. Candidates will be evaluated
by a subset
of the EC <https://sigchi.org/executive-committee/> (Mentis, Kun,
Williamson, Bardzell, Mandryk) on a vision for how we can do better.

*Adjunct Chair for Community Engagement*
As we make efforts to continue to expand and innovate our mechanisms for
communicating with our community, we would like an adjunct chair who can
oversee these initiatives and the charge for creating and running multiple
communication channels with the SIGCHI community. This AC should care
deeply about the SIGCHI community, be passionate about taking action to
bring about positive change, and be willing to make the time to craft and
realize a vision for engaging and being in dialogue with our community.

Possible activities may include identifying community initiatives and
volunteering efforts that could be recognized and shared with the rest of
SIGCHI such as through our Medium publication, building bridges between
different sub-communities that are culturally and/or regionally disparate,
supporting better communication between SIGCHI leadership and the community
such as through Ask Me Anything sessions (AMAs), innovating on ideas for
eliciting information requests from the community, ensuring transparency of
the Executive Committee’s efforts and decisions through the SIGCHI website,
among many others.

Please submit your application or nomination at
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ac4outreach. Candidates will be evaluated by
a subset of the EC <https://sigchi.org/executive-committee/> (Mentis,
Kumar, Bernhaupt, Shamma) on a vision for transparent and effective
communication.

Please apply or forward to others!
The SIGCHI Executive Committee