From:
"Rauh, Sebastian" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rauh, Sebastian
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2020 12:22:58 +0000
*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to the NordiCHI 2020 workshop "Designing for Orchestration in Mixed and Virtual Reality: Challenges and Best Practices."

Abstract:
Mixed and Virtual Reality (XR) have seen an important development since the advent of low-cost technologies. The application space is still diversifying, opening up new opportunities and application areas for such technologies. An important common feature of XR applications is that designers and engineers need to orchestrate virtual content and user experience. We regard orchestration of XR as invisible work: in many cases, orchestration is hidden within the task of story scripting of applications. It is often occluded by designing and programming XR.
As such, orchestration is regarded as a means to a goal, which occludes its importance for the design of XR systems. We would like to invite the research community to address this issue, by focusing this workshop on highlighting and exemplifying orchestration challenges and best practices, and to systematise the orchestration topic in the context of the recent technology advances. We will consider a wide range of orchestration cases, from completely pre-orchestrated to live-orchestrated XR. Based on that knowledge, we aim to consider novel tools to support designers and users in their orchestration work. We invite scholars and practitioners to contribute to our workshop, with cases from their work.

Call for Participation:
We invite researchers and practitioners working on or interested in XR. All XR-experienced researchers are eligible: whether orchestration was explicitly considered before or not, whether design for orchestration was performed or not. To create a multi-disciplinary team, we would like to address designers, programmers, artists, and educators. We particularly encourage PhD Students and young researchers to participate in our workshop.
We would be happy to receive your 2-4 pages (including references) positioning paper (ACM single-column "Review Submission Format") via [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> until 1st September 2020. For further details visit https://www.unitylab.de/designing-for-orchestration-in-xr-nordichi-2020-workshop.

Important Dates:
Paper submission: 1st of September 2020
Notification of Acceptance: 15th of September 2020
Workshop Date: 25th of October 2020, 9:00 - 17:30

Best Regards,
Marius Koller and Sebastian Rauh (on behalf of the whole workshop organising team)