Applications are invited for Research Scientist positions at Nokia Bell
Labs, Cambridge in the areas of Applied Machine Learning, Embedded Systems
and Sensor engineering with a strong focus on Pervasive Sensing and Mobile
*Nokia and Bell Labs*
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and
things. Powered by the pioneering work of Bell Labs, our research and
innovation division, and Nokia Technologies, we are at the forefront of
creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart
of our connected lives. Nokia Bell Labs is internationally renowned as the
birthplace of modern information theory, the transistor, the laser and the
UNIX operating system.
*Bell Labs Cambridge*
Bell Labs' research facility in Cambridge is a leading lab working in the
areas of Mobile Sensing and Systems, Applied Machine Learning, Social
Computing and Internet of Things research.
We have openings for inspired innovators in our Pervasive Sensing and
Systems Department of the Application Platforms and Software Systems
(A&S) research Program. The department's research agendas are:
- Embedded OS-level software enabling resource-efficient high-precision
sensor processing, modelling and analytics.
- Multi-modal edge-device-based deep learning models of human behaviour
and context reasoning in the wild.
- Exploration and understanding of new sensor modalities.
- Disruptive end-to-end applications in the areas of digital health,
smart home and quantified enterprise.
*Main duties and responsibilities*
- Carry out groundbreaking research in the areas of Mobile Systems,
Ubiquitous Computing and Applied Machine learning with focus on above
mentioned research agendas for creating both theoretical innovations and
novel practical implementations.
- Contribute to the technical definition of research objectives and
- Propose and publish research for the major research publications
- Create and maintain strong collaborative associations with
university-based researchers, other leading research bodies, and product
- Keep an active and visible role in the research community through
conference committees and reviewing panels.
*Expected qualifications, skills and experience required for this job*
A PhD in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering with a strong focus on
UbiComp and Mobile Computing. A PostDoc experience is a plus.
- For positions with a focus on Embedded Systems
- Deep understanding of Mobile and Embedded Operating Systems with
kernel level coding experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of Mobile and Embedded Operating
Systems and Mobile Application Frameworks (e.g., Android / iOS).
- For positions with focus on (Applied) Machine Learning
- Deep expertise in Machine Learning and Data Mining techniques
(especially deep learning methods) for processing sensory
speech, motion, etc.)
- Good understanding of Mobile and Embedded Operating Systems and
Mobile Application Frameworks (e.g., Android / iOS).
- For positions with a focus on Sensor Engineering
- Hands-on architecture-level skills in hardware integration and
- Strong expertise in the areas of digital signal processing and
applied machine learning
- A proven track record in research, with publications in prestigious
journals and conferences.
- Strong written and spoken communications skills.
- Ability to conduct independent research while also contributing to a
For informal query or more information please contact Dr. Fahim Kawsar (
[log in to unmask]) or Dr. Nic Lane (
[log in to unmask]).
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org