From:
Andrew Sears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 14:06:47 CDT
If you got a message about this from the CHI-EDUCATORS mailing list -
please ignore this copy.  I sent this request to the chi-educators
mailing list and got a number of very useful replies, but I wanted to
open it up to a larger segment of the CHI community.

So, please read on and send me any suggestions you might have.

I'm in the process of developing the offical reading list for Computer
Science PhD students (at DePaul) who are interested in taking one of
their Comprehensive Exams in HCI.

I know the terminology varies, so let me explain.  The Comprehensive
Exams are what our students take in several different areas.  They
tend to fall after most of the coursework is done, but before the
student has selected a specific dissertation topic.

I've been working on the list and got a number of very useful
suggestions from the chi-educators mailing list.  However, I wanted to
open this up to a larger segment of the CHI community in an attempt to
develop a more complete and diverse reading list.  My goal is to
develop a list that covers the fundamental issues related to HCI (as
best I can).  The readings will come from a variety of disciplines so
don't be shy about suggesting readings from outside of computer
science.

If you have suggestions for topics, books, journal articles,
conference papers, etc. that are fundamental to HCI please pass them
on.  I'll be more than happy to share this list once it's complete.

Tell me what your favorite topics/references are - the more
suggestions the better.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Sears                             Phone: (312) 362-8063
School of Computer Science               FAX:   (312) 362-6116
DePaul University                        email: [log in to unmask]
243 S. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60604