From:
Nelimarkka Matti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelimarkka Matti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:27:50 +0000
Recently, collocated large events - such as conferences, seminars, classes, festivals - have sought to improve through technologies which allow spectators to participate in the creation of content for the event. These tools often called backchannels or audience interaction systems, have provided the audience with a mediated channel to support their participation.

We are organizing a full-day workshop which takes place at CSCW 2018 on November 4, 2018, in Jersey City (USA) and we aim to develop a research agenda for hybrid events and support collaboration in these research topics. We also hope to develop lightweight collaborative infrastructures for people interested on this topic.

*Topics of the workshop* (including, but not exhaustive list)

1) How should we research and understand hybrid events?
	- How do we study multichannel events where interaction takes place across channels?
	- What kind of analytic orientations can be successfully applied to understand participant interactions?
2) How we evaluate the success of events?
	- How can we support the creation of hybrid events?
	- How do we generate an understanding of the practices to be supported with hybrid interaction technology?
	- How do we design “the right system(s)” to support hybrid interaction appropriately
3) What kind of technologies (e.g., input modalities and systems) can be used to address these topics?
	- How can novel technologies like machine learning, autonomous agents, voice interfaces, and the Internet of Things help in the creation of hybrid events?
	- How do the emerging practices inform the design of these systems?
	- What kind of novel roles emerge in the hybrid events?
	- How do people organize and manage the complexities of hybrid events?
	- What challenges and benefits hybrid events have for participants?

*Important dates*

First position paper deadline: September 5th
Second position paper deadline: October 10th
Workshop: November 4th

For more details, see https://hybridevent.wordpress.com/ .