From:
Jaap Kamps <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaap Kamps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:53:50 +0200
Seventh Workshop on
Exploiting Semantic Annotations for Information Retrieval (ESAIR'14)

CIKM 2014, November 7, Shanghai
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~kamps/esair14/

Submissions due: August 15 (extended!)

Open for submissions at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=esair2014

* Call for Papers

There is an increasing amount of structure on the Web as a result of
modern Web languages, micro-formats and linked data, user tagging and
annotation, and emerging robust NLP tools. These meaningful, semantic,
annotations hold the promise to significantly enhance information
access, by increasing the depth of analysis of today's systems.
Currently, we have only started exploring the possibilities and only
begin to understand how these valuable semantic cues can be put to
fruitful use. To complicate matters, standard text search excels at
shallow information needs expressed by short keyword queries, and here
semantic annotation contributes very little, if anything.

The main remaining challenge is on the user's side, and a more dynamic
approach is emerging by exploiting new forms of query autosuggest.  The
potential of rich document annotations can only be realized if matched
by more articulate queries exploiting these powerful retrieval cues. How
can the query suggestion paradigm be used to encourage searcher to
articulate longer queries, with concepts and relations linking their
statement of request to existing semantic models?   How do entity
results and social network data  in “graph search” change the classic
division between searchers and information and lead to extreme
personalization -- are you the query?  How to leverage transaction logs
and recommendation, and how adaptive should we make the system?   What
are the privacy ramifications and the UX aspects -- how to avoid
creeping out users?

* Many Open Questions

The Workshop will bring together researchers working with semantic
annotations, its use cases, its sources (authoring to NLP tools), its
users, and its use in DB, IR, KM, or Web research, and work together on
a range of open questions:

- Application/Use Case: What are use cases that make obvious the need
for semantic annotation of information? What tasks cannot be solved by
document retrieval using the traditional bag-of-words? What is keeping
searchers from exploring these powerful search request? What impact has
the web of data with more and more information in preprocessed form?

- Annotations: What types of annotation are available? Are there crucial
differences between author-, software-, user-, and machine-generated
annotations? Do we annotate types/classes/categories ("person") or
instances ("Albert Einstein")? How similar or different are linked data
and annotated text? What are the limitations of the current annotations
schemes, and how to overcome them?

- Rich Context: Do we annotate text? Or also search requests and
interactions, and their broader context? Besides personalization and
geo-positional information, mobiles have a wide and growing range of
locational, mechanical and even biometrical sensor data available to
them. Can kick-start the query by inferring task and situational context
in the mobile use case?

- (Un)certainty: How should we interpret the annotations? Can we
reliably link textual annotations to known entity catalogs? Can expect a
messy world to be captured in a clean set of meaningful categories? Or
is all information fundamentally uncertain and only partly known? How
can we fruitfully combine information retrieval and semantic web approaches?

These and other related questions will be discussed at this open format
workshop -- the aim is to provide paths for further research to change
the way we understand information access today!

* We Need Your Help!

Help us shape the future of information access by increasing the depth
of analysis of today's systems:

- Submit a short 2+1-page research or position paper explaining your key
wishes or key points,

- and take actively part in the discussion at the Workshop.

What's a 2+1 page paper?  We like short and focused contributions
highlighting your main point, claim, observation, finding, experiment,
project, etc, (roughly 2 pages of mainly text) but we also like clear
tables, graphs, and full citations (that's the "+1" page). So your
submission can up three pages, as long as max. 2 of them are narrative text.

The deadline is Friday August 15, 2014, further submission details are
on http://staff.science.uva.nl/~kamps/esair14/

We are looking forward to a productive, stimulating and fruitful
workshop day in the tradition of previous ESAIR workshops -- come join
the discussion!

Omar Alonso, Microsoft
Jaap Kamps, University of Amsterdam
Jussi Karlgren, Gavagai & KTH Stockholm