From:
Andruid Kerne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andruid Kerne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:44:14 -0500
The Interface Ecology Lab develops games and other creative and
expressive human centered computing systems by combining appropriate
disciplines and media in consideration of human needs. We are seeking
a bright and industrious Ph.D. researcher to work on the NSF-funded
Teaching Team Coordination through Location-aware Games
[http://www.ecologylab.net/research/tteclog.html] (TTeCLoG) project.

We are working to change the way people interact with games and
computers. We are designing games to stimulate the growth of human
relationships and skills. We are developing the next generation of
video games, based on real-life human practices of social interaction
and human-to-human communication. We are incorporating
global-positioning and other sensors into wearable computer systems,
which serve as game platforms. Movement in the real world becomes
movement in a game world, outdoors and untethered.

Our research builds fun location-aware games to teach people to work
together better. We are basing our designs on the work of
firefighters. We are investigating how these games aid teamwork in
general.

We are seeking a graduate researcher who has and/or wants to develop
skills in fields such as:

- game design and development

- sensory wearable computing system design and development

- ethnography

- visual design

- sound design

- programming (interaction, semantics, distributed systems,...)

- hci studies and experiments, and data analysis

- writing

The Interface Ecology Lab is a convivial environment. We value
creativity, independent initiative, and collaboration. Our process
integrates methodologies from appropriate disciplines, including
computer science, design, art, psychology, ethnography, ergonomics,
and electrical and mechanical engineering. We function as a community
of researchers. We are formally part of the Computer Science
Department at Texas A&M University. Extensive information about the
lab can be found at [http://www.ecologylab.net].

The student will be expected to play an active role in an iterative
design process of framing research, working with participants,
building systems, evaluating them, and writing. Support includes
payment for tuition and fees, as well as a salary. A successful
participant will have the opportunity to serve as first author on
major research papers, work on grant proposals, and receive support
for travel to highly ranked conferences where they will be presented.

To begin, please send a CV, with a cover letter explaining how your
skills and interests relate to research at hand to

Andruid Kerne

--
andruid kerne, ph.d.
director, interface ecology lab

Interfaces are the multidimensional border zones through which the
interdependent relationships of people, activities, codes, components,
and systems are constituted. Interface ecology investigates the
dynamic interactions of media, cultures, and disciplines that
flow through interfaces.