From:
Christoph Bartneck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christoph Bartneck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:04:50 +0100
                         Call for Participation

                          CHI2004 Workshop on

                   Shaping Human-Robot Interaction
    Understanding the Social Aspects of Intelligent Robotic Products
                http://www.bartneck.de/workshop/chi2004

ABSTRACT:
=========
Intelligent robotic products start to integrate into our daily lives. While
the technology side of them achieved a certain amount of maturity, the
social impact of these products is largely unknown. Little information is
available on how intelligent robotic products need to be designed to fulfill
their social role in our society. This workshop focuses on (1) the technical
implementation of intelligent robotic products (2) their form, function and
behavior and (3) human behavior and expectations.

The workshop aims to:
---------------------
This workshop seeks to examine issues related to the design and development
of social robots that act on behalf of humans without continuous input from
humans.
Our goal is to provide a forum for technologists, human scientists, and
designers to discuss issues related to the interactions between humans and
social robots: technology, product form, function and behavior, and most
importantly, human behavior, expectations, and ethical issues related to
these products. We hope to identify key research issues in this field, and
provide a roadmap for future research in human-robot interaction.

Topics:
-------
We plan to cover a range of topics, including concepts, theories or
guidelines for design of intelligent robotic products. Interesting topics
are also the implementation methods and measuring methods for the social
effects of robotic behavior.

Format:
=======
The workshop will consist of a daylong highly interactive format that will
encourage open dialogue and sharing wisdom. We will aim to achieve a balance
of viewpoints and backgrounds in the selection of participants.

SUBMISSION:
To:           [log in to unmask]
Length:       2-4 pages
Deadline:     12 January 2004