Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 06:40:42 PST
Effective Training and Education for Human Computer Interaction

        23-24 March, 1998, University of Glasgow, Scotland.

        http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/HCI_workshop.html

Co-Chairs:
        Steve Draper, Phil Gray and Chris Johnson.

Sponsored by:
         The British HCI group and the CTI Centre for Computing Science.

Topic:
Human Computer Interaction now has an established place in the curricula of
many University departments.   It is a necessary component in the professional
development schemes advocated by the British Computer Society, the ACM,
the IEEE and the IEE.   This workshop will provide a forum for practitioners
to discuss 'leading edge' techniques for HCI training in higher education,

The timetable for the workshop will be as follows:

-- Monday, 23rd March (10:00-17:00): delivery mechanisms and effective teaching.

        Mechanisms for sharing teaching between institutions:
        post Dearing can we share the strengths of local institutions
        to form networks of excellence in teaching in HCI?

        The effective use of CAL in the HCI curriculum: can we use multimedia
        technology to implement networks of teaching excellence?   What other
        software support do we need for teaching HCI both at Undergraduate and
        postgraduate level?

-- Tuesday, 24th March (10:00-17:00): curriculum and assessment issues.

        Undergraduate teaching: professional development and accreditation;
        the role for HCI within both the Software Engineering, Psychology and
        Sociology curricula; the problems of teaching a skill-based discipline
        with large groups of students.

        Postgraduate teaching: what is a PhD in HCI?, what criteria should we
        impose in a multi-disciplinary subject? how can those multi-disciplinary
        criteria be defended within the traditional departmental structures of
        most Universities?

Participation:
the intention is to create an open forum for discussion about many of the
issues surrounding HCI education.   Formal presentations will be limited to
maximise the opportunity for open discussion and debate.   Numbers will be
to approximately 50.   Please, therefore, register your interest as soon as
possible.   The fee will be 55 pounds for the two days, to include the social
event on Monday night, proceedings, teas and coffees.   The fee for BCS HCI
group members and students is 40 pounds.  This EXCLUDES accommodation and lunch.
We will provide help in selecting a range of local resteraunts (there are
Indian, Chinese, French, Greek and many more reseraunts within a few minutes
walk of the venue).
A registration form is available on:
        http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/HCI_register.html

As mentioned, the workshop is aimed at encouraging a free exchange of views
and experience.   We, therefore, request that all registrations are
are accompanied by a one page position statement on the themes listed above,
Please also let us know, as soon as possible, of any items that you would like
to be included in the programme.

Finally, we intend to develop a web site of views and position papers about
the effective teaching of HCI, in particular in the UK.   Please let either
Chris, Phil or Steve know if you have any contributions for this resource.

Social Programme:
The meeting will include a reception on the Monday evening, to be hosted by
the Computing Science Department, University of Glasgow.

or more reasons to visit Scotland and attend this workshop, check out the
Scottish Tourist Board on:

         http://www.scotourist.org.uk/stb/contents.htm

The workshop will be held in Glasgow itself to ease international travel.
However, Glasgow also provides a convenient base from which to explore the
Western Highlands and Islands.