CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender: "ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 18:22:21 +0800
From: "Prof. Paul Benjamin Lowry" <[log in to unmask]>
We are pleased to continue our 10th year at AIS Transactions on HCI (THCI)
with our second of four issues to be published this year. We present the
June issue with three high-quality papers outlined below.

You are welcome to freely download the papers from this issue and other
issues by visiting the AIS E-Library, or the direct links below. You can go
directly to our journal at the following: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/

============

In this issue (Volume 10, Issue 2)

============

Gaskin, J. E., Godfrey, S., & Vance, A. (2018). Successful system use: It's
not just who you are, but what you do. AIS Transactions on Human-Computer
Interaction, 10(2), 57-81. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00104

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol10/iss2/1

Abstract:

Information and communication technologies are so embedded in contemporary
society that we have arrived at the point at which learning to use
technology successfully may affect our day-to-day lives as much as learning
to eat or exercising properly. However, we lack research that explains and
predicts successful system use (i.e., system use that adds value to the
user). We theorize that adaptive behaviors (e.g., trying new features,
repurposing features) mediate the relationship between user characteristics
and successful system use. To better understand successful system use, we
used an online survey to study how undergraduate students enrolled in an
information systems course used an information system (Microsoft Excel). Our
findings suggest that adaptive behaviors do act as a mediator between user
characteristics and successful system use; therefore, it is not only one's
identity but also what one does that drives successful system use. One of
our key contributions includes remodeling system success as a single
second-order construct as opposed to its traditional form as a series of
causally related constructs.

Mojdeh, S., Head, M., & El Shamy, N. (2018). Knowledge sharing in social
networking sites: How context impacts. individuals' social and intrinsic
motivation to contribute in online communities. AIS Transactions on
Human-Computer Interaction, 10(2), 82-104. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00105

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol10/iss2/2

Abstract:

Knowledge-sharing research in online communities has primarily focused on
communities of practice and the social factors of knowledge-sharing behavior
in organizational contexts. Academic research has not rigorously examined
non-business-oriented online communities as venues for facilitating
knowledge sharing. Thus, in this paper, we address this research gap by
examining the contextual roles of anonymity and community type on an
individual's social and individual drivers of knowledge-sharing attitude in
social networking sites. Using social capital theory as a theoretical
backbone, we propose and empirically validate a relational model through a
survey of 329 users of

Facebook, LinkedIn, and CNET. From analyzing the data with the partial least
squares (PLS) method, we found strong explanatory power of the proposed
research model. We discuss our study's implications for both research and
practice.

Zhang, X., & Venkatesh, V. (2018). From design principles to impacts: A
theoretical framework and research agenda. AIS Transactions on
Human-Computer Interaction, 10(2), 105-128. DOI: 10.17705/1thci.00106

Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/vol10/iss2/3

Abstract:

In this paper, we integrate three streams of research in information systems
(i.e., IS success, technology adoption, and human-centered design
principles) to extend our understanding of technology use. We present a
theoretical framework that incorporates the core ideas from these three
streams of research. We leverage the proposed framework to present
propositions that could guide future work. Specifically, the propositions we
develop relate system-design principles to use and net benefits (i.e., job
performance and job satisfaction) and rich use to job performance. We
further suggest several broad potential future research directions.

==================

Call for Papers

==================

THCI is one of the journals in the AIS (Association for Information Systems)
e-library at http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci. THCI is a high-quality
peer-reviewed international scholarly journal on Human-Computer Interaction.
As an AIS journal, THCI is oriented to the Information Systems community,
emphasizing applications in business, managerial, organizational, and
cultural contexts. However, it is open to all related communities that share
intellectual interests in HCI phenomena and issues. The editorial objective
is to enhance and communicate knowledge about the interplay among humans,
information, technologies, and tasks in order to guide the development and
use of human-centered Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and
services for individuals, groups, organizations, and communities.

To increase awareness and readership, THCI is still freely available to
everyone during its initial years of publishing. You can find information
related to all aspects of THCI at its website (http://aisel.aisnet.org/),
including how to submit. We would like to thank AIS
<http://home.aisnet.org/> Council for its continued support of the journal.
And, as always, we are happy to announce that we have published the journal
on time for every issue, and are building a strong case for a solid impact
factor when released by SSCI and Scopus in the near future.

Topics of interest to THCI include but are not limited to the following:

*   The behavioral, cognitive, motivational and affective aspects of human
and technology interaction

*   User task analysis and modeling; fit between representations and task
types

*   Digital documents/genres; human information seeking and web navigation
behaviors; human information interaction; information visualization

*   Social media; social computing; virtual communities

*   Behavioral information security and information assurance; privacy and
trust in human technology interaction

*   User interface design and evaluation for various applications in
business, managerial, organizational, educational, social, cultural,
non-work, and other domains

*   Integrated and/or innovative approaches, guidelines, and standards or
metrics for human centered analysis, design, construction, evaluation, and
use of interactive devices and information systems

*   Information systems usability engineering; universal usability

*   The impact of interfaces/information technology on people's attitude,
behavior, performance, perception, and productivity

*   Implications and consequences of technological change on individuals,
groups, society, and socio-technical units

*   Software learning and training issues such as perceptual, cognitive, and
motivational aspects of learning

*   Gender and information technology

*   The elderly, the young, and special needs populations for new
applications, modalities, and multimedia interaction

*   Issues in HCI education

The language for the journal is English. The audience includes international
scholars and practitioners who conduct research on issues related to the
objectives of the journal. The publication frequency is quarterly: 4 issues
per year to be published in March, June, September, and December. The AIS
Special Interest Group on Human-Computer Interaction (SIGHCI,
http://sigs.aisnet.org/SIGHCI/) is the official sponsor of THCI.

Please visit the links above or the links from our AIS THCI page
(http://aisel.aisnet.org/thci/) for details on any current or emerging
special issue calls that will be announced in the future. Please keep
checking our home page to see what is brewing! If you have an idea for a
special issue, please drop us a line any time.

Sincerely,

Dennis Galletta and Paul Benjamin Lowry, co-Editors in Chief

Gregory D. Moody, Managing Editor