CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Bebe Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bebe Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:03:42 -0700
I am pleased to announce the latest title in Morgan & Claypool's series on
Information Concepts, Retrieval, and Services:

Mobile Search Behaviors: An In-depth Analysis Based on Contexts, APPs, and
Devices
Dan Wu, School of Information Management, Wuhan University

Shaobo Liang, School of Information Management, Wuhan University
Paperback ISBN: 9781681732992
eBook ISBN: 9781681733005

Hardcover ISBN: 9781681733012
March 2018, 178 pages
http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?produc
ts_id=1220

Abstract:

With the rapid development of mobile Internet and smart personal devices in
recent years, mobile search has gradually emerged as a key method with which
users seek online information. In addition, cross-device search also has
been regarded recently as an important research topic. As more mobile
applications (APPs) integrate search functions, a user's mobile search
behavior on different APPs becomes more significant. This book provides a
systematic review of current mobile search analysis and studies user mobile
search behavior from several perspectives, including mobile search context,
APP usage, and different devices. Two different user experiments to collect
user behavior data were conducted. Then, through the data from user mobile
phone usage logs in natural settings, we analyze the mobile search
strategies employed and offer a context-based mobile search task collection,
which then can be used to evaluate the mobile search engine. In addition, we
combine mobile search with APP usage to give more in-depth analysis, such as
APP transition in mobile search and follow-up actions triggered by mobile
search. The study, combining the mobile search with APP usage, can
contribute to the interaction design of APPs, such as the search
recommendation and APP recommendation. Addressing the phenomenon of users
owning more smart devices today than ever before, we focus on user
cross-device search behavior. We model the information preparation behavior
and information resumption behavior in cross-device search and evaluate the
search performance in cross-device search. Research on mobile search
behaviors across different devices can help to understand online user
information behavior comprehensively and help users resume their search
tasks on different devices.

Table of Contents: Preface / Acknowledgments / Information Search in Mobile
Context / Context-based Mobile Search Behaviors / Mobile Search Behaviors
and APP Usage / Mobile Search Behavior Across Different Devices / Discussion
and Conclusions / References / Author Biographies

Series: Synthesis Lectures on Information Concepts, Retrieval, and Services

Editor: Gary Marchioni, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

<http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=22&sor
t=2d&series=32>