CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 11:14:14 -0400
Sender: "ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Morgan & Claypool Publishers is excited to announce the publication of
another title in our partnership with ACM.the first full-length biography of
Edmund Berkeley, founding member of the ACM.

Edmund Berkeley and the Social Responsibility of Computer Professionals

By Bernadette Longo - New Jersey Institute of Technology

ISBN: 9781970001365 | PDF ISBN: 9781970001372

DOI: 10.1145/2787754

Copyright C 2015 | 221 Pages

He was "the conscience of the computer industry."

Edmund Berkeley's story and life work provides a lens to understand social
and political issues surrounding the early development of electronic
computers which ties directly to our current debates about the use of
autonomous intelligent systems.  This fascinating biography of a computer
pioneer and social activist who wanted to "engineer peace, not war" (not a
popular Cold War era opinion) illuminates issues we still deal with
regarding the social responsibilities of computer developer and
human-computer relationships. This book is a must-have for anyone interested
in the history of computing.

You can purchase the book in print (paperback), E-Book (PDF) or combination
of both at:

http://store.morganclaypool.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?cPath=24
<http://store.morganclaypool.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?cPath=24&prod
ucts_id=843> &products_id=843

This is the fifth published book in the ACM Book Series, a publishing
partnership between the Association of Computing Machinery and Morgan &
Claypool Publishers.  You can see the full series at:

http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=24
<http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/index.php?cPath=24&sor
t=2d> &sort=2d

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Brent Beckley

Direct Marketing Manager

Morgan & Claypool Publishers