CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Chi Thanh Vi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chi Thanh Vi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 11:09:27 +0000
*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

CHI 2016 Workshop on “Touch, Taste, & Smell User Interfaces: The Future of
Multisensory HCI”
San Jose, CA, USA, 7th or 8th May 2016
http://multi-sensory.info/

== Topic ==
The senses we call upon when interacting with technology are very
restricted. We mostly rely on vision and audition, increasingly harnessing
touch, whilst taste and smell remain largely under-exploited. In spite of
our current knowledge about sensory systems and sensory devices, the
biggest stumbling block for progress concerns the need of a deeper
understanding of people’s multisensory experiences in HCI.
This one-day workshop will offer an interdisciplinary forum of discussion
for both academics and practitioners interested in research beyond
audio-visual interaction with technology.

== Your Participation ==
We invite position papers on one or more of the following grand challenges
we identified for our workshop on multisensory Human-Computer Interaction:
(1) Understanding what tactile, gustatory, and olfactory experiences we can
design for in HCI.
(2) Exploring different ways of how to design and stimulate multisensory
experiences for both touch and the chemical senses (taste and smell).
(3) Capturing meaningful application contexts and interaction scenarios for
multisensory stimulation.

Participants will be invited to present a position statement at the
workshop and will actively engage in an interdisciplinary discourse on the
meaningful design space for touch, taste, and smell in HCI. **Demos are
encouraged and will get space in the workshop agenda!

At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the workshop
and for one day of the conference itself.

== Submission Details and Dates ==
Your paper should be at most 4 pages in the CHI Extended Abstracts format.
All submissions are reviewed based on the three grand challenges by the
workshop organizers.

Important dates:
¥       First submission date: 11-Dec 2015 (if you need to leverage 2015 Q4
budget)
¥       Notification date: 21-Dec 2015
¥       Second submission date: 13-Jan 2016
¥       Notification date: 12-Feb 2016

Please find the details and templates here:
http://multi-sensory.info/call-for-participation/
Submission site: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ttschi2016

== Contact ==
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
See contact details on our workshop website: http://multi-sensory.info/

We as organizers for this workshop, look forward to discuss the future of
multisensory research and design with you in San Jose.

Marianna Obrist, SCHI /skʌɪ/ Lab, University of Sussex, UK
Carlos Velasco, Imagineering Institute, Iskandar, Malaysia
Chi Thanh Vi, SCHI /skʌɪ/ Lab, University of Sussex, UK
Nimesha Ranasinghe, Keio-NUS CUTE Center, National University of Singapore
Ali Israr, Disney Research, USA
Adrian D. Cheok, Imagineering Institute, Iskandar Malaysia & City
University London
Charles Spence, Crossmodal Research Lab, University of Oxford UK
Ponnampalam Gopalakrishnakone, National University of Singapore