CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
"ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2020 15:12:11 +0000
From:
Eunjeong Cheon <[log in to unmask]>
Hello everyone!!

I hope you’re doing well. I would like to invite you to our CSCW workshop. If you have any question on the workshop participation, pleas feel free to email me or  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

CSCW 2020 Workshop: Collective Organizing and Social Responsibility at CSCW (Deadline: 9/15, 23:59 AoE/ Notification: 9/22)

The CSCW community has long discussed the ethics and politics of sociotechnical systems and how they become embedded in society and public policy. In light of the Black Lives Matter protests and Hong Kong protests, technologies such as facial recognition and contact tracing have re-invigorated conversations about the ethical and social responsibility of tech corporations, tech workers, and academics in science and technology. The goal of this workshop is to move beyond a call for the usual suspects of participatory design and human-centered design by committing to concrete steps to transform society through advocacy and activism.

WORKSHOP THEMES:

Advocacy and Coalition Building
As we move toward transforming the norms of our academic and professional practice, it is important to include and advocate for those left out of the conversation for far too long. For example, the SIGCHI community has silenced the voices of racial minorities and women of color, erasing and appropriating their work while simultaneously promoting diversity and inclusion. How might we push institutions to be truly inclusive of a wider range of views and participants? How might we acknowledge longstanding inequities like anti-Black racism that plague design fields and technology design? Most importantly, how might we uplift the voices of marginalized designers and community-led organizations, and be “accomplices” in coalition with equitable and just visions for our professional community like those put forward by our Black colleagues?

Collective Organizing and Activism
Tech workers assumed the role of activists when they united under the banner of#TechWontBuildIt to protest their employers’ contracts with the U.S. Department of Defense or Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Echoing calls in adjacent academic communities, it is also imperative to pay close attention to“when not to design, build, or deploy”. The emerging “design justice” movement exemplifies designers making such commitments. There is demonstrated energy within CSCW recently for activist technology and social movement engagement. However, even tech workers, so highly valued in our global economy, have limited power in deciding what they build.What is necessary to strengthen ethical and democratic accountability in technology production?How might we as a professional community refuse to design technology that undermines democracy and exacerbates inequality? How might we instead advance the development of tools co-designed with grassroots organizations that counter harmful tech? How might we disseminate methods that enshrine social responsibility and ethics so that they are inextricably entwined with CSCW, whether practiced in academia, industry, or government?

We invite your submission as extended abstracts (1-2 pages).
Papers can offer a concrete case of collective organizing or social responsibility in the profession, a reflection on current positions or practices, or a personal statement. Submission acceptance requires that at least one author registers for and attend the workshop. For details, please see our website at shorturl.at/prHU1<http://shorturl.at/prHU1>

Workshop organizers: Devansh Saxena, Erhardt Graeff, Shion Guha, EunJeong Cheon, Pedro Reynolds-Cuéllar, DawnWalker, Christoph Becker, and Kenneth R. Fleischmann

EunJeong Cheon | Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Ph.D.
Human-Centered Computing | Department of Computer Science
AALBORG UNIVERSITY
Selma Lagerlofs Vej 300 5.2.50 | Aalborg East | 9220 | Denmark
https://www.eunjeongcheon.com/