CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
"ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2021 09:15:30 +0100
Subject:
From:
Jörn Hurtienne <[log in to unmask]>
Summer course on Remote Tourism 2021: Exploring human-computer interaction in novel remote tourism concepts

****What’s the topic?****

Not being able to travel is a shame? Come and join us in exploring, designing, and evaluating novel remote tourism experiences in our remote summer course!

As many other countries in the world, Germany has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Early on in this global crisis, we sat and wondered how we could recreate a summer course experience for international students.

We had an idea: What if we could allow you to explore Würzburg as virtual visitors through the eyes of a local student? Or even better; what if you could control the movements of a local German student in real time like a robot? Via a mobile, tablet or PC, you can explore Würzburg‘s vineyards, visit local museums, and roam through typical German stores by interacting – live – with a local Würzburgian wearing a camera, who will act as your eyes and body on a virtual exploratory tour.

Many questions about such novel remote tourism experiences are still unexlored: How to control the human robot? What would virtual visitors want to see and do in Würzburg? What interactions are possible and necessary to control the human robot?

****Why I should participate?****

In our online summer course we will develop Human-Computer Interaction concepts, explore and examine such remote tourism experiences together! By participating you will:

	• Gain knowledge and practice in methods of user-centered design (user research, ideation, prototyping, evaluation)
	• Complete a hands-on project for your portfolio
	• Conceptualise novel remote tourism experiences
	• Receive a certificate of study from the University of Würzburg
	• Connect with German and other international students
	• Have a remote tourism experience of Würzburg

Since we are interested in intercultural perspectives and were able to raise funds, we can offer this summer course free of charge for international students. Please apply by March 24th.

****Lecturers****
	• Prof. Dr. Jörn Hurtienne (University of Würzburg, Germany)
	• Dr. Daniel Reinhardt (University of Würzburg, Germany)
	• Sara Wolf (University of Würzburg, Germany)

So join us this year on our “remote trip” to Würzburg! For more information and details on the application process, please visit https://www.mcm.uni-wuerzburg.de/psyergo/summer-course-on-remote-tourism-2021/

Best wishes
Jörn Hurtienne

--
Prof. Dr. Jörn Hurtienne