CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:20:45 -0500
From:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
I've thought about it a lot, too.

While there are certainly differences between Web and desktop apps, the
differences are fading. Some applications are in Web browsers because
that's what makes it easy for the client and the server to communicate.
They might be better off in a browser window without all the browser
toolbars and menus, but that's a different discussion. (I ran a CHI
workshop in about 1996 or something on the topic of Web apps, discussing
this sort of thing. I'd love to have another discussion like that, if I
ever went to CHI again.)

I try to get clients to build menu bars because there's just too much stuff
on the page and it has to be organized. The Windows & Mac menu standard is
File/Edit/View/.../Window/Help. That may not apply on the Web for a variety
of reasons (we don't have the same need for a File menu, for example).

BUT -- The thing about menus is that they serve as an organizing principle.
That's what we need. It's no longer enough to arrange buttons and links in
groups. There's just too much stuff to put on the page. To do it right, we
may need to have some sort of standard, the way there is on the desktop.

                                         -- hs