CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:56:20 -0500
>From:    Avi Rappoport <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I think it's a mistake to make sites too hierarchical and force
>visitors to go up various levels before finding related information
>that has been organized in a different category. That's a
>misunderstanding of the nature of hypertext, which is all about
>making links between categories.

Unless all the intervening levels are themselves links, as is done at
Yahoo and, for that matter, at my site. In fact, many's the time I've
done a search at Yahoo for an *instance* of a category because I
can't find the category. Yahoo then finds the instance and shows me
the category link at the same time, which I can then hit. It actually
works pretty well, orthodoxies of hypertext notwithstanding.

--
           Joe Clark
           <http://www.joeclark.uni.cc> (updated 2000.02.13)