CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Simon Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:48:54 +0100

> These two comments reveal you misconception: A model is not a
> representation! But it is very true that a model is in people's mind.

Hang on there!  The words "model" and "representation" are two
of the trickiest words in cognitive science.  It simply isn't
possible to pronounce authoritatively on what they "really" mean.
There is a horribly confused literature out there on "mental models".
I know, I reviewed it for my PhD.  Just because you may not think
you are confused, doesn't give you the right to legislate against
other people's confusion:-)

Much better to start this kind of comment with
"according to (whoever...)"

C'mon, give us the paper URLs so that anyone who wants to debate
your debateable points can have something to get their teeth into.

On second thoughts, don't, because that discussion doesn't really
fit onto this list.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Grant - lecturer, Connect (best addressed title-free)
e-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]