From:
Alan Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:52:40 -0700
One of my developers has designed a new UI framework for our product
and has chosen the term "widget" to refer to UI elements such as text
boxes, drop-down lists, radio buttons, etc. This term will appear in
XML tags that define a screen.

My experience is that "widget" is a jargon term tossed about largely
informally by developers, but is not actually used in any respectable
product in a way that's exposed to users. I believe Java calls UI
elements "components", and Windows calls them "controls".

Before I put the kibosh on the term "widget", I'd like to solicit
opinions about how appropriate it is, or suggestions for other
replacement terms. What's the most common and/or cross-platform way
to refer to UI elements?

As usual, feel free to respond directly and I'll summarize.

Thanks.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail