From:
Andrew Burnette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Burnette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:02:16 -0400
I think you're right--that there is no silver bullet to enticing users.
 However, you are interviewing for a job, and so your task is to convince
prospective employers that you (and you alone) have all the right answers. I
do not suggest lying to give them the answer that they want.  But here are a
couple of ways that question could be answered

1) Let the interviewer know of several tactics that you've used in the past
or that you think might work to entice users to click.  Feel free to explain
(briefly) how it's actually a complicated question and that each situation
has to be addressed differently.  Again, emphasize that you (and you alone)
have the experience and knowledge to find the solutions to each situation.

2) Borrow a tactic from politics, and answer the question that you want them
to ask.  So instead of answering the question of enticing users, answer the
question of how complicated the web has become and how each user is
different, but you (and you alone) have the knowledge and experience to find
solutions to that challenge. Or answer some other question that you think
you should be asked.

There are other ways to answer the question, of course.  But trying to
explain to a prospective employer that you don't have a magic wand may not
get the best results. They want to know how you can get them more clicks.
 You just have to convince them that you (and you alone) have the knowledge
and experience that will get them more clicks.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with the job search.

*
Andrew Burnette*