Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:15:52 -0500
> I'm working on a web application. One of the clients request that we add
> function to allow users to use Enter key to advance fields so that the
data
> entry can be faster using the numeric key pad.

Just a personal anecdote, but this is an example of an application that
uses the Enter key for this purpose.

Microsoft Money (and Quicken I think) have an option in their Preferences
settings to make the Enter key advance to the next field, like the Tab key.
This is in the register when you are entering expenses. When you press the
Enter key in the last field, the item is saved and the cursor goes to the
first field for the next new item to enter. This isn't the default setting,
the Tab key is the default for moving from field to field.

I set the preference to this setting somewhat accidentally the first time I
used it and found it very strange since it seemed very different from what
I was used to. I kept feeling that the enter key would "submit" the item
before I completed all the fields. After a while though, I got used to it
and it seemed faster and more convenient for this type of data entry
(entering many items in the register quickly).

- Jim Ross
Usability Analyst
Intranet Service Delivery

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.