CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Veronica Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Veronica Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:11:27 -0500
I think one purpose would be for verification purposes. For example, during
usability testing I've noticed users use the welcome message showing their
name as a way to verify they succesfully logged on to their accounts. I see
it all the time on web applications, some examples, amazon.com, etc.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why do we need to show welcome message on the application UI?
>
> This was the question I faced today while discussing the product user
> interface with my product manager, which made me realize that I did not
> have a very good answer for it, as I have never tried to find out why and
> kept using it on all my designs as it was seen on other applications too.
> Can someone point to some research or guidelines on why to use the welcome
> message with user name for web based applications?
>
> Thanks
> Sandeep Rathod

Veronica Hinkle
HF Doctoral Candidate