CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:36:25 +0100
From:
Steven Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
 > Does anyone know some statistics about how many web-users use any specific
 > browser *and* version, eg. IE 3.0?
 > Reports about browser-version-diffusion (- answering *why* this or that
 > version is used in specific user-segments, like developers or webchatters or
 > ...) are also very welcome.

The long answer.

It is time someone on this list mentioned links2go.com

This is a totally wonderful (IMHO) semantically-based search engine.

Based on the idea that pages that deal with the same subject tend to
point to each other, it builds semantic groups of pages. Then from
each group it plucks out the most-referred-to in the group as "key
resources".

When you do a search it presents the results classified semantically,
and with the top item from each group; clicking on "more" takes you to
that group.

As an example, I wanted to find the home page of the Italian railways,
but didn't know what it was called. So I just searched for a railway
company that I did know, and got the semantic group of pages to do
with railways, and found the Italian one in two clicks. (To be exact,
I typed in "NS" the name of the Dutch railways. This gave me a number
of semantic groups, such as "Nova Scotia", but also
"Transportation". Under transportation was indeed NS, but more
importantly "The European Railway Server", which listed all European
railways. Bingo.)

So, in answer to your question, I just typed in "browsers". I saw that
"related topics" in the top left had a subject called "Browsers"
("Related topics" is actually a misleading name: these are the key
resources). I went there, and in one click I had "Browserwatch"
(http://browserwatch.internet.com/). In one more click I had "Stats
station" which is an analysis of browsers, versions, and usage.

Back at the links2go browser key resources, I selected "Browsercaps" a
site about browser capabilities, and from that in combination with
Browserwatch, I was able to see that more than 85% of people browsing
now use a browser with CSS, so I never need to use the <FONT> tag
again.

Steven Pemberton