CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Paola Kathuria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paola Kathuria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:00:11 +0000
William Hudson (ACM) wrote:
> Imagine that you have a teaser for a news article on a web page. On the
> left is a small photo relating to the article and on the right is the
> heading followed by a line or two of descriptive text.
>
> Here's the dilemma: my view is that we really ought to make both the
> photo and the heading links into the main article, but it is very likely
> that they are in two separate columns so that the same <a> tag cannot
> include both. Consequently, since two <a> tags are used, you then get
> the checkpoint 10.5 error, "Separate adjacent links with more than
> whitespace".

Yes, I agree that the photo should be a link.

I believe that checkpoint 10.5 is telling you to put
something like square brackets around the photo alt text
so that the two sets of links (photo and heading) don't
run on.

That said, unless you have a text description of the
photo for screen readers, the photo is redundant and
I'd be tempted to set empty alt text for the photo.
What happens in screen readers where an image is a link
with empty "" alt text?

Paola