CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Francois Jordaan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francois Jordaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:28:15 +0100
Hi Kathy,

> Please tell me that you them type the date and don't force them to
> use dropdowns. That is truly one of my pet peeves.

...and here I've just advised a colleague to use a dropdown for a credit
card expiry date.

My reasons were threefold:
1. Removing the user's unspoken question whether they can enter "2004", "04"
or "'04"
2. Preventing errors
3. Presenting a small number of valid choices rather than a theoretical
infinity

I realise this is at the cost of a more fiddly control (a trip to the mouse
for most users). But I'd argue that this is not going to break a sale, and
is less harmful than even a very small percentage of errors.

I was wondering if you have stronger reasons against dropdowns.

francois