CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
denny adelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:13:14 +0100
Hello all,

I was hoping that some of you might have insights on this:

We're fiddling with the weekly view of a calendaring/scheduling web app we've
developed. It is used by medical secretaries and call centers. In its present
form, new appointments (which can arrive fast and furious) can only be created
in the daily calendar view. Weekly and monthly views are read-only. In case of
need it is easy enough to get from the latter to the former. (This was a design
trade-off about screen density, page weight (one RV has a lot of information
attached to it and there is a constant question of exactly what needs to be
displayed), and a bit of Fisk's law. We design to 1024 x 768 and keep
everything on one screen.)

Recently, a client requested that the vertical hour label bar
(0700-0730-0800-0830, etc) that appears once at the left of the table for the
whole week  (and once again at the far right) be repeated alongside each day of
the week, making 5, 6, or 7 repetitions, depending on the work week. The client
wants to do this is as part of a scheme to permit appt entry in weekly view.
Adding these hour labels would help the date enterers to see more clearly which
RV slot is attached to which time of day.

To us, simply adding all these vertical legends isn't acceptable since it adds
much static clutter to a screen that already has a lot of dynamic information
on it. We're convinced that the operators will go squinty and then batty. It's
not pretty either.

But we haven't seen any calendar apps that address this problem elegantly.
Generally, the middle of the week is just far enough away from the legends to
make their identification unclear and that is a usability problem.

So, having said all this, and apologizing for the length of this post, I was
wondering if anyone here has information on displaying weekly matrices with
hour legends in the clearest, most effective way.  Examples and techniques
welcome.

Please send to me directly, and I will summarize to the list.
TIA,

Denny Adelman