Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:34:24 -0500
>QUESTION 1:
>How do you feel when your wire frame is not adhered
>to, or ignored?

I typically feel, at worst, inconvenienced - at best, grateful that they improved on something in my wireframes.  Designers not adhering to wireframes is a classic situation, and some key processes can ensure that these differences are improvements to the plan, not detractions.

Designers are generally trained and driven to critique everything they see and improve on it, so one should expect them to attempt to improve on your wireframes.  On the other hand, wireframes shown to designers are typically the result of many iterations, and have been optimized based on a long decision history.  It is important to include designers in this process, to at least keep them informed as to the context and history of these iterations.  This will ensure that the designer's "deviations" (a negative context is introduced with this term) move forward from this history, not backward.

If some of the designer's "improvisations" (a better term) decrease the usability or appropriateness of the wireframes, it should be easy to explain your requirements in a rational way that the designer understands (the practice of visual design is, unknown to many people, grounded in very scientific and rational thinking).  For an effective team, each member must feel like they are allowed to contribute their ideas.  Stifling designers and forcing them to play the role of mere Photoshop operators is not the way to go.

If a designer ignores elements of your wireframes, ask them to explain.  Instead of intentional improvisation, it may be inexperience, inattentiveness, or unclear wireframing.  This can be avoided by carefully reviewing your wireframes with the designer before kicking off the design process.

If a designer resists your rational explanations and refuses to meet your requirements...that's a personal issue.  I have almost never run into this problem.

>QUESTION 2:
>
>Do you have any questions that you would like to hear
>designers answer?

I studied design in college, so although I am more of an information architect now, I understand the background.  Designers, what do you think every user experience professional should know about how best to work with a designer?  What are the top 5 best practices and bottom 5 pitfalls?