CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Damon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Damon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:40:06 +0000
Dear All

Looking through the debate about the 'Design disaster?' (concerning frames
and repeating menus), I noted that a few people commented that it was
sensible to put the menu running down the right-side of the browser. I
assume this was because we read left to right (here), and so there isn't
any point in giving the user too much visual clutter as they sweep back for
each line.

I agree(d) with that.
Am I right?

Maybe it is an issue of interaction design, as opposed to graphic design.
Since we do read left to right, does it make more sense for users to click
on a left-hand menu and see the result of their action (the updated frame)
appear on the right? Users get more of an idea of cause and effect, and are
more comfortable with the interaction of the site.

I dunno... does anyone else?
Do people think left to right...?

Damon Clark

Damon Clark