Sender:
From:
Chris Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:42:11 -0600
Bart

Our training people have taken ownership of the Help for web-based
applications (e.g., timecards, expense vouchers) and both in my opinion and
based on the limited usability testing we have conducted, have done a great
job.  The approach has been to keep it brief and foccus on specific
questions that the user might bring to Help.  The other approach has been
to look at the different paths the user might take and represent the
information in that manner.  As you can imagine, the later approach may be
facilitated with the use of graphics.  Also, with regard to the later, one
of the biggest problems our usability testing has uncovered has been that
with complex applications (e.g., a multi-page Foreign Travel Request), the
requirements are different for different users and users get easily
confused as to where to go and what to do.  Thus, graphic representations
of paths that apply relevant to the user's requirements have been quite
benficial...   Chris

At 11:11 AM 6/6/97, Bart wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Has anybody experience, research, examples about a help system on the internet?
>
>I working on such a system. Not for a information site but a system where
>you can do rather complicated transactions.
>I know you should design so good to make helpfile not necessary, but still...
>
>Most of the time you'll find a FAQ style page with questions and answers.
>You'll find one like these at Newspage:
>         http://www.newspage.com/NEWSPAGE/questions.html
>
>Another option would be to try to imitate the typical Windows online
>helpfile. But I'm not sure this would be a good idea, and also if it would
>be possible to do so...
>
>What do you think?
>
>Bart
>

> Bart Van Roey ----- http://www.bart.be ------ Consultant HCI
> Brussels, Belgium                        Internet & Intranet

Chris Forsythe
Statistics and Human Factors
Sandia National Labs
Albuquerque, NM 87185-0829  USA