CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:45:14 -0500
From:
"Chang, Roger" <[log in to unmask]>
>       Forgive me for questioning your premises but isn't it a bit odd to talk
>about usability of a system that's confined to only one of the many tools
>that people could use to access your system?  javascript is Netscape-
>specific and while Netscape Navigator/Communicator run on most platforms
>do you really think people will not use Microsoft Explorer, Spyglass
>Mosaic, etc.?

        Many of the issues Daniel brought up are usability specific, and while
JavaScript examples were asked for, I think he is trying to get at
interactions relating to form interaction that would be portable to
client-side processing in general.  For example a JavaScript / VBScript
hybrid would be codable to account for Netscape and Explorer to validate
forms without crashing either.  In the former example, I have found that
compiling JavaScript first is prudent -- also, anything not in
Microsoft's scripting object model may be re-routed to an over-riding
VBScript routine.  The hybrid solution satisfies a great percentage of
users -- I suspect Netscape and MSIE will begin converging more
script-wise.

        In any case, any good JavaScript example would provide good generic UI
solutions for form validation portable across any platform.

        Roger.

Roger Chang
User Interface Designer
Cognos Incorporated